What's new

Thinking of putting a set of Franklins in an album and looking for advice

Captaindoodle

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
321
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
So since I just got the 1955, I was thinking, I'll check the safety deposit boxes and see if I have a whole "set" of Franklins...I'm pretty sure I do (less the proofs, and I have 5 years of those).

Do the standard collectors albums have spaces for proof coins or just spaces for the circulation strikes?

Any suggestions on what brand to buy?

I'm including a picture of some of the choicer specimens I found a couple of years ago.

Thanks,
HH
CD
 

Attachments

  • Highlights 2008 (3).webp
    Highlights 2008 (3).webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 430
  • silver find 7 30 08 008.webp
    silver find 7 30 08 008.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0
You don't have to buy a book for those, just get a folder and make your own set, that's what I do with my coins. I have folders full of my own built set. I don't like those little books for coins, just me though
 
I'd just leave em in cases, if you put them in a cardboard folder, they will certainly tarnish

HH
-GC
 
goldencoin said:
I'd just leave em in cases, if you put them in a cardboard folder, they will certainly tarnish

HH
-GC
GC is right, the glue used in the assembly of certain folders will ruin the coins. I recently bought a set of silver Roosevelts cheap in a Whitman folder, they were heavily tarnished. These folders are ok for short-term storage. I will soon remove all the silver I have placed in these. ffd
 
Don't bother with the Whitman albums as other said they will tarnish the coins. If you insist on an album, a Dansco album would be the second choice. If you want the best, then an Intercept Shield album is the best. To be honest with you, I wouldn't bother. Buy Saf-T-Flips and assemble your own set in a binder. The Saf-T-Flip is meant for archival purposes. Don't bother with the cardboard coin flips. They are fine to sell to others on eBay and the like, but they aren't meant for long term storage.
 
That's all I do with mine, I bought a binder, and buy the plastic pages and build your own.
 
timbobwey said:
That's all I do with mine, I bought a binder, and buy the plastic pages and build your own.

The plastic pages that hold the individual flips are fine, just be careful with the flips. There really is only one that is meant for archival quality and they don't cost that much more. Saf-T-Flips are the best for the binder option.
 
Diver_Down said:
timbobwey said:
That's all I do with mine, I bought a binder, and buy the plastic pages and build your own.

The plastic pages that hold the individual flips are fine, just be careful with the flips. There really is only one that is meant for archival quality and they don't cost that much more. Saf-T-Flips are the best for the binder option.

I have always put Ben's and Walker's I liked in the little individual cardboard flips with the date I found them and put them in my safety deposit box. Will the single cardboard flips cause damage to the coins? The bank's vault where they are stored seems pretty climate controlled?

Thanks to all for your advice.
 
Is that an uncirculated Walker? Nice find? YOu found it by CRH?
 
SFBayArea said:
Is that an uncirculated Walker? Nice find? YOu found it by CRH?

I guess technically it is AU "about uncirculated" since it came out of a box, but it looked like it just left the mint when I found it. I got it and all the other coins in the bottom photo from 4 boxes a couple of years ago. Someone obviously dumped a collection...I got the 43 Walker, 5 nice Franklin proofs, 64, 68, 69, 70 Ken proofs, a nice 70D, and a bunch of AU Franklins out of the same 4 boxes. It was definitely one of the best days CRH'ing I've ever had.

Thanks and HH,
CD
 
Captaindoodle said:
Diver_Down said:
timbobwey said:
That's all I do with mine, I bought a binder, and buy the plastic pages and build your own.

The plastic pages that hold the individual flips are fine, just be careful with the flips. There really is only one that is meant for archival quality and they don't cost that much more. Saf-T-Flips are the best for the binder option.

I have always put Ben's and Walker's I liked in the little individual cardboard flips with the date I found them and put them in my safety deposit box. Will the single cardboard flips cause damage to the coins? The bank's vault where they are stored seems pretty climate controlled?

Thanks to all for your advice.

I will not store my coins in the cardboard flips. It has a very thin mylar film that eventually degrades and becomes brittle. Coins stored in a manner end up breaking through the film or a tear develops. Also, sulfur in the air and other impurities can react with the cardboard causing toning around the rim. SafFlips or Saf-T-Flips are your best bet. They are made of mylar and are safe for long-term storage. You can insert a paper insert in the opposite pocket from the coin so you can track the information on the coin. I get mine from Brent-Krueger.
 
Even the flips are only temp. The best cheap way is the type he has them in now "stapled cardboard.
 
Diver_Down said:
Don't bother with the Whitman albums as other said they will tarnish the coins. If you insist on an album, a Dansco album would be the second choice. If you want the best, then an Intercept Shield album is the best. To be honest with you, I wouldn't bother. Buy Saf-T-Flips and assemble your own set in a binder. The Saf-T-Flip is meant for archival purposes. Don't bother with the cardboard coin flips. They are fine to sell to others on eBay and the like, but they aren't meant for long term storage.

I can't think of anything to add other than listen to the man. :thumbsup:
 
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Even the flips are only temp. The best cheap way is the type he has them in now "stapled cardboard.

Curious, why doesn't the ANA use the stapled cardboard? If the flips are temporary, then why does the ANA use them?
 
Diver_Down said:
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Even the flips are only temp. The best cheap way is the type he has them in now "stapled cardboard.

Curious, why doesn't the ANA use the stapled cardboard? If the flips are temporary, then why does the ANA use them?
Plastic flips are available in various materials. "Soft" flips are made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) which decomposes over time with disastrous results for coins. They are therefore not suitable for long term storage. Mylar and acetate flips do not contain PVC. However, they are hard (may scratch the coin if not inserted and removed carefully) and brittle. While not airtight, they are reasonable choices for moderate value coins that will be "left alone" for multiple years but less so for coins to be shipped or that will be removed and reinserted.

Mylar-line cardboard, often called "2x2s" but also available in other sizes, are similar to plastic flips. A coin is placed between the two halves, which are then stapled together (some brands contain an adhesive).

Tubes are plastic containers designed to hold a number of the same size coins. They are fine for bulk storage of circulated coins and can be used for higher grade coins, provided the coins do not move. A disadvantage is that the coins cannot be viewed without being removed from the tube.

Hard plastic holders are preferable for more valuable coins. They are not known to contain any materials that harm coins and offer good protection against scratches and other physical damage. They are available for individual and small sets of coins.

"Slabs" are sonically sealed hard plastic holders for individual coins. They offer good (though still not perfect) protection, but because of the expense of having a coin slabbed, they are generally suitable only for more valuable coins. Hope this helps.
 
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Diver_Down said:
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Even the flips are only temp. The best cheap way is the type he has them in now "stapled cardboard.

Curious, why doesn't the ANA use the stapled cardboard? If the flips are temporary, then why does the ANA use them?
Plastic flips are available in various materials. "Soft" flips are made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) which decomposes over time with disastrous results for coins. They are therefore not suitable for long term storage. Mylar and acetate flips do not contain PVC. However, they are hard (may scratch the coin if not inserted and removed carefully) and brittle. While not airtight, they are reasonable choices for moderate value coins that will be "left alone" for multiple years but less so for coins to be shipped or that will be removed and reinserted.

Mylar-line cardboard, often called "2x2s" but also available in other sizes, are similar to plastic flips. A coin is placed between the two halves, which are then stapled together (some brands contain an adhesive).

Tubes are plastic containers designed to hold a number of the same size coins. They are fine for bulk storage of circulated coins and can be used for higher grade coins, provided the coins do not move. A disadvantage is that the coins cannot be viewed without being removed from the tube.

Hard plastic holders are preferable for more valuable coins. They are not known to contain any materials that harm coins and offer good protection against scratches and other physical damage. They are available for individual and small sets of coins.

"Slabs" are sonically sealed hard plastic holders for individual coins. They offer good (though still not perfect) protection, but because of the expense of having a coin slabbed, they are generally suitable only for more valuable coins. Hope this helps.

There really is no point in responding to your above post. Nowhere did I advocate the plastic soft flips. American Numismatic Association only endorses the SafFlips or Saf-T-Flips. Read about them and their composition and why they are intended for archival use. For shipping, I mentioned that the cardboard flips were recommended but the coins should be promptly removed. They are really garbage. The thin mylar becomes brittle with age and is prone to tearing. The cardboard will react with air contaminants, mainly sulfur, that will cause damage to a coin.

The original poster didn't inquire about tubes and slabs.
 
Diver_Down said:
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Diver_Down said:
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Even the flips are only temp. The best cheap way is the type he has them in now "stapled cardboard.

Curious, why doesn't the ANA use the stapled cardboard? If the flips are temporary, then why does the ANA use them?
Plastic flips are available in various materials. "Soft" flips are made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) which decomposes over time with disastrous results for coins. They are therefore not suitable for long term storage. Mylar and acetate flips do not contain PVC. However, they are hard (may scratch the coin if not inserted and removed carefully) and brittle. While not airtight, they are reasonable choices for moderate value coins that will be "left alone" for multiple years but less so for coins to be shipped or that will be removed and reinserted.

Mylar-line cardboard, often called "2x2s" but also available in other sizes, are similar to plastic flips. A coin is placed between the two halves, which are then stapled together (some brands contain an adhesive).

Tubes are plastic containers designed to hold a number of the same size coins. They are fine for bulk storage of circulated coins and can be used for higher grade coins, provided the coins do not move. A disadvantage is that the coins cannot be viewed without being removed from the tube.

Hard plastic holders are preferable for more valuable coins. They are not known to contain any materials that harm coins and offer good protection against scratches and other physical damage. They are available for individual and small sets of coins.

"Slabs" are sonically sealed hard plastic holders for individual coins. They offer good (though still not perfect) protection, but because of the expense of having a coin slabbed, they are generally suitable only for more valuable coins. Hope this helps.

There really is no point in responding to your above post. Nowhere did I advocate the plastic soft flips. American Numismatic Association only endorses the SafFlips or Saf-T-Flips. Read about them and their composition and why they are intended for archival use. For shipping, I mentioned that the cardboard flips were recommended but the coins should be promptly removed. They are really garbage. The thin mylar becomes brittle with age and is prone to tearing. The cardboard will react with air contaminants, mainly sulfur, that will cause damage to a coin.

The original poster didn't inquire about tubes and slabs.


OK,OK you said flips. Everyone who hears flips thinks of the soft flips you see all the time. I know about Saftflips and Safflips. You are right there. They are a whole different subject and I was talking real cheap stuff.
 
Diver_Down said:
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Even the flips are only temp. The best cheap way is the type he has them in now "stapled cardboard.

Curious, why doesn't the ANA use the stapled cardboard? If the flips are temporary, then why does the ANA use them?
I was always told that the staples could scratch other coins surfaces if laid on or by them. Like if you have multiple ones stapled together in a collection. But I use them anyway.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom