What's new

Thinking of trying quarters

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
In light of some recent posts showing success with quarters, I am thinking of giving them a try. Are the boxes $500 like halves? I figure one quarter is better than a 40%er value wise. If I find one or two a box it would beat my recent half boxes.

One good thing is that all the banks who have told me that their machines "don't like halves" and thus refuse them are not gonna have any half-a$$ excuses when I come in with some quarters.

Has anyone had the machines rip them off when cashing in quarters? I have had some bad luck with dimes getting counted as pennies.

Jim
 
Upvote 0
Dimes counted as pennies is my worst. Quarters are not bad.

If you work quarters, don't just rim search. Look for the 2009 territory quarters, as they are minted in low numbers and will be worth something probably soon. Sooner than the state quarters! Shoot, the mintage is significantly less than even the first state quarters, and even those went up in value for a while. PLus look for the Leaf errors on the Wisconsin quarters. I found one earlier this year. Worth $80 :-)
 
Jim,
Never got ripped off with quarters in the machine. I do hand rolled quarters once in a while. Never tried a box yet,but I will.
I hope you get a good one
HH
Rich
 
It is probably the least searched denomination now. You could hit it big. Can't wait to hear what you get.

Golden Silver
 
Got a box of Brinks quarters but no silver (thought there was one but turned out to be a 1977 Canadian).

I did pull some nice US territory quarters that I needed, so it was not a waste.

I was amazed at how fast the coin machine ran them. It took about one minute to run the whole box of $500. This was the bank that stopped letting me bring halves because it kept jamming the machine and would take 45 minutes to run $600 bucks worth.

I might try it again, but will get hand rolls next time.

Jim
 
Would be interesting to find out which gives more, handrolled or boxes. ffd
 
I'll get a few keepers from handrolls. Mostly skunk out .To be honest I get short-rolled alot with the quarters or get foreign coins. With bags I probably average one per $700.00. Get a skunk bag once in a while
best was 9 keepers in a $1,000.00 bag. I have yet to try boxes. When I do I'll grab eight boxes just like I do with the halves.
HH
Rich
 
I have 2 dump branches I use. One of the machines always has counted correctly. The other has a habit of counting dimes as cents. I dump the dimes at one and buy the cent bags at the other. Come out ahead every time!
HH
enamel7
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom