OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm certain there are a lot of us here who scan our change for copper pennies = and I look for 1981 and before. I haven't found a wheat in change in years, but I do save the coppers.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
For those that didn't watch - Main motivation for him to cashing in the coins was because his hoard of coins was not covered under his home insurance policy. I would venture a guess that most don't realize their hoard and collections aren't covered under the basic home insurance policy.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
For those that didn't watch - Main motivation for him to cashing in the coins was because his hoard of coins was not covered under his home insurance policy. I would venture a guess that most don't realize their hoard and collections aren't covered under the basic home insurance policy.

I would say that you are absolutely correct!

The same goes with the things we "collect", i.e. Stamps, coins, or whatever...

But then, do we want anyone to know we have them?

WWII said "Loose lips sink ships"....

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an insurance agent (please be kind). The comments above are correct on home insurance coverage. Very little to no coverage under a home or renters insurance policy. However most companies do have endorsements or options to add some coverage for silver or gold bullion.

But my advice... Because I know you're all dying to hear it :laughing7: get a safety deposit box or a safe if you're concerned about theft. The cost to have one each year would be much less than buying insurance.... However if up you're hoarding copper cents good luck finding something big enough.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
To be insured, doesn't the collection have to be sorted/graded/and valued by a bonifide source to establish insurance coverage value? Or a lot of pictures of the contents.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be insured, doesn't the collection have to be sorted/graded/and valued by a bonifide source to establish insurance coverage value? Or a lot of pictures of the contents.

Yes that is part of it. To insure a specific coin you can have it endorsed on a policy much like a specific piece of art or jewelry. if it is very valuable, say thousands of dollars the insurance may make sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread