This hobby still never ceases to amaze me.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for about 3 hours but still had to hunt in the shade.

I chose a new/old school I'd found because it looked like it had some potential for silver coins. The ground use in the area certainly
does. It did disappoint me a bit on the silver coins but it threw in a wrinkle I hadn't planned on.

2014 (559).jpg

2014 (560).jpg
2014 (561).jpg

I out drew my detector on the next one, I saw it before I heard it. :)

2014 (558).jpg

At least I had my passport for the day. ;)

2014 (562).jpg

This next one came right out of left field, literally and figuratively!

I was a bit proud of myself on this one too.

2014 (565).jpg 2014 (566).jpg

Wasn't the best hit, but too good to ignore.

You can see it's not in real good shape. But, that's after I got it home and picked
on it a bit. It was worse in the field! Still, I must be getting fairly good at recognizing
coins in the field. About all I had to go on was a bit of green showing, (copper/brass/bronze)
and the size of the coin. Too big for a penny, too big for a nickel, too small for a large cent or quarter.

Bronze, the size, my guess in the field? Two Cent Piece.

2014 (563).jpg
2014 (564).jpg

Pretty sure of it now. 186? thus far. Some of the bars from the shield, yeah, that's my two cents worth. ;)

Anyone have any magic elixirs for this special coin? I see quite a bit of detail left, the green patina seems pretty good under the gunk. I know this coin has a special composition but I'm not sure what might help to clean without hurting. Any ideas?

Thanks for peeking!

Upvote 8

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
??? ....... hope it a :occasion14:
Cool finds!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! That's a large ring you scored for Blingie! That should be double the entry points, on your frequent finders miles! Maybe the ring was on the surface to see if your paying attention, or a flat out, He's making this one easy.

Congrats on your two cent piece!!! Awesome! I would never have figured that out in the field (Especially left field! lol!). The only 2 things I'd know is it contains copper and it's old from all the crust on it, the size would have stumped me! If I squint that last number looks kinda like a 5 ?

A 3 hour hunt even in the shade is impressive! Not too shabby on the clad either, but I know the start is the 2 cent piece, and runner up, the ring! I'd be as excited as heck to find that one! How far down was it, and did the signal bounce between coins like it wasn't sure? Hope you get the cleaning advice, I'd be interested to know. So far everything I've got can be cleaned with vinegar with no fear! Lol!
Congrats! Very nice hunt! Post pics if you clean it more.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt! My 2 center was at a school too! Yours seems to be in pretty good shape yet so I hope you get some good advice. Is the ring marked? WTG!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt, just my two cents (since you asked) hot peroxide until it stops fizzing followed by a vigorous toothpick, then a nice mineral oil bath.
Looks like 1864 to me from the pic

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome mix of finds!

Good to see you kept blingie happy as well

and needless to say CONGRATS on that 2 center!
That absolutely looks like that's what it is
When you popped it out did you say "whadifind?":laughing7:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far down was it, and did the signal bounce between coins like it wasn't sure?

Yeah this one gave me a pretty solid 75 and a bit loud, both usually indicate can-slaw to me. But this sounded a bit different. It
was only about 6 inches down. Pretty obvious it had been there long before the school.

Nice hunt! My 2 center was at a school too! Yours seems to be in pretty good shape yet so I hope you get some good advice. Is the ring marked? WTG!

The ring wasn't marked, I strongly suspect either unmarked silver or just plain bling. :dontknow:

The coin shows signs of being one that would lend itself to cleaning, if done right.

Great hunt, just my two cents (since you asked) hot peroxide until it stops fizzing followed by a vigorous toothpick, then a nice mineral oil bath.
Looks like 1864 to me from the pic

I'm thinking 1864 myself. The peroxide technique is a good one but only if it's not abused and the coin lends itself to being cleaned.
Last time I left a coin in until the peroxide stopped boiling? Ruined a fair large cent and looked like the surface of the moon. :dontknow:

...and needless to say CONGRATS on that 2 center!
That absolutely looks like that's what it is
When you popped it out did you say "whadifind?":laughing7:

Well, that IS why I chose the name. ;) It's what I seem to say just about every time I go out! "Now, just whadIfind this time??!"

Thanks all, for the replies!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As treblehunter said, it looks like 1864 to me too...........Congrat's!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a great site to detect and well done on all your finds but especially the 2 cents coin. Just another item on my long wish list.

JStunt

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions