This is a longshot I know, but could I possibly have something here?

silverbar

Oct 2, 2014
Raleigh NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro /
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this today with a few other points and a clay pipe (in another post). Could this possibly be a point as well? I know that glass points are rare and I haven't been able to find many other photos of them. The blue glass does appear old with small bubble inclusions. It is about the size of a US Nickle. Found in NC. What do you all think?

Attachments

• b12.jpg
    b12.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 116
  • b11.jpg
    b11.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this today with a few other points and a clay pipe (in another post). Could this possibly be a point as well? I know that glass points are rare and I haven't been able to find many other photos of them. The blue glass does appear old and is included with small bubbles. It is about the size of a US Nickle. Found in NC. What do you all think?
Now how big is that compared to a dime, nickel, quarter?
It's a real pretty looking point, but I have no knowledge if it's modern (meaning the last 70 yrs) or not.
Congrats either way it's really different.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Something like that should be taken outside in natural sunlight so we can see the details on it. Both sides and edges. I found a thick piece of purple glass that looks like it was worked into a scraper. I dated the glass to the 1800s so it’s possible. I would suggest you try and date the blue glass to see if it matches the historical time frame. Other than that I really couldn’t say if it’s new or old.

OP
OP
silverbar

silverbar

Oct 2, 2014
Raleigh NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro /
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something like that should be taken outside in natural sunlight so we can see the details on it. Both sides and edges. I found a thick piece of purple glass that looks like it was worked into a scraper. I dated the glass to the 1800s so it’s possible. I would suggest you try and date the blue glass to see if it matches the historical time frame. Other than that I really couldn’t say if it’s new or old.
Thanks for the suggestions! I never thought of trying to date the glass. I'll try and get some photos outside also in the natural light. I found it along with the trade pipe which may place it in correct time frame.

OP
OP
silverbar

silverbar

Oct 2, 2014
Raleigh NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro /
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now how big is that compared to a dime, nickel, quarter?
It's a real pretty looking point, but I have no knowledge if it's modern (meaning the last 70 yrs) or not.
Congrats either way it's really different.
Thanks! Its about the size of a US Nickle

OP
OP
silverbar

silverbar

Oct 2, 2014
Raleigh NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro /
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel that it's a natural break, don't really see any knapping
Thanks! You have a good point. The only possible knapping that see is on the bottom portion of one side, a little around the ears, and maybe that spot in the middle bottom portion. A chip of broken glass or a conversation piece for the display- I like it either way.

Last edited:

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture showing any flaking would help but I agree I don’t see much intentional work. It looks more like a fortuitous break. My first impression is it’s modern but I could be swayed because it’s the exact color of points I’ve made out of bud select bottles.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
N.C. right? That size and shape (especially size) point is common on the west coast right up to mid 1800's when trade and white settlement took over. After that, lithics disappear. My thought is that on the east coast this would have happened earlier, and that small points were most uncommon. I love it as a point, but the blue is pretty bright for the time period. Also, what is the glass a piece of?... bottle, flat pane, what?

GlowingArtist

Oct 8, 2022
Phoenix
The top photo shows the jagged edge glass breaking area. It is so vivid blue, the color used in the glass making are very likely very recent.

Sorry to burst your bubble, maybe it is a piece of a small seltzer type bottle or alcoholic beverage bottle.

OP
OP
silverbar

silverbar

Oct 2, 2014
Raleigh NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro /
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The top photo shows the jagged edge glass breaking area. It is so vivid blue, the color used in the glass making are very likely very recent.

Sorry to burst your bubble, maybe it is a piece of a small seltzer type bottle or alcoholic beverage bottle.
Nah- not at all.. I appreciate the feedback. It does appear that it may have been from a bottle and it does appear bright. I agree. I'll chalk it up as "solved" ... chip of glass... lol

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NOT old. Not older than glass making, anyway. A curio, nothing more. Pretty to look at but not at all rare. ╦╦ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread