Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BC1C3EAC-0B0A-4AFB-A7C1-FA302150A738.png 3B5842DB-F80E-422A-99AC-BA9B6EE2CEF7.jpeg My better half let me go detecting at on of my fort sites this morning as long as I mowed the grass when I got back. I’ve learned to keep those promises over the years. My best find was this 1830s 1 piece artillery coat button. Also found a shot and in shot ball, a broken lead bar and a parasol piece. Also found an old fishing lure, a garter piece and a few shards. My question is we’re parasols around during the 1830s or were they later? Thanks for looking!

Upvote 15

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing finds! The pottery shard is identical to what I have seen on display at Fort Christmas and Fort King as well as one I found myself. Very cool finds!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button :icon_thumleft:. I've found at least 7 of those one piece convex artillery buttons at non-military sites in SW PA. By comparison, I've only 3 of the infantry type from the same period, As for parasols, I have found those parts in mid 19th century sites, and parasol's have been around for a long time, I'm just not sure when they started using that particular part.

OP
OP
Florida Finder

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice button :icon_thumleft:. I've found at least 7 of those one piece convex artillery buttons at non-military sites in SW PA. By comparison, I've only 3 of the infantry type from the same period, As for parasols, I have found those parts in mid 19th century sites, and parasol's have been around for a long time, I'm just not sure when they started using that particular part.
thanks Steve!

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>My better half let me go detecting at one of my fort sites this morning as long as I mowed the grass when I got back.

"Let you?"

"As long as?"

Been married to an amazing woman for many years now, and we both support each other's businesses/hobbies/ambitions. She never "let" me do anything (and vice versa).

To each his own of course! Just sayin'. :icon_thumright:

VERY cool artillery button, btw!

HessianHunter

Jul 24, 2016
Massachusettss
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button. Those parasol pieces are frustrating to find, they sound like coins!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The early one-piece Eagle button is a nice find. :thumbsup:
As far as your brass umbrella slide find goes...
Dave

"Early umbrellas, or as they were known parasols, were designed by the Egyptians around 1000 B.C. The first models were made from feathers or lotus leaves, attached to a stick, and were used to offer shade to the nobility. As they made their way overseas, umbrellas were regarded as status symbols. Parasols became the must-have fashion accessory They were often decorated to match dresses worn on the promenade. Their stated purpose was to protect delicate skin from the ravages of the sun. Their unspoken purpose was a secret tool for flirtation.

The umbrella was considered to be strictly of a woman’s domain. Hence, a man carrying an umbrella was no gentleman and committing an effeminate sin. Georgian Period gentlemen would persist in the practical use of an umbrella in order to protect himself from the weather for all to witness, despite the outrage. By the late 1700s and early 1800’s men had forfeited their reluctance concerning the umbrella and joined the women in their acclimation to its benefits. Even though the collapsible umbrella was developed around 1800, it would experience some developmental growing pains. The first collapsible design was not as reliable as needed, the ribs would break, the canopy material would tear or disintegrate. Many fabrics used for the canopy would mildew if not allowed to dry properly. The desire to develop a fully functioning umbrella was apparent, for 121 patents were filed in 1850 alone.

By the early Victorian Era, improvements in metallurgy arising from the Industrial Revolution led to stronger alloys for umbrella ribs. Finally, the development of steel as a replacement for whalebone ribs would give the umbrella the staying power it needed. The English and the French continued to love their parasols, which became popular and regular features in fashion magazines and newspapers. They remained light and elegant and were sold in a wide range of styles and colors well into the early 19th century. By the end of the 19th century umbrellas were seen less of a novelty and more of a convenient practical device. During the 18th and 19th centuries quality parasol and umbrella makers had their own retail shops and often offered repair services along with their wares. The repair and refurbish trade flourished during this time. Less expensive and cheaper made umbrellas were sold on the street."

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool finds, thanks for posting. those chores get in the way of my detecting on a regular basis

OP
OP
Florida Finder

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The early one-piece Eagle button is a nice find. :thumbsup:
As far as your brass umbrella slide find goes...
Dave Thanks so much Aquatarian for the fabulous information you provided!!!

"Early umbrellas, or as they were known parasols, were designed by the Egyptians around 1000 B.C. The first models were made from feathers or lotus leaves, attached to a stick, and were used to offer shade to the nobility. As they made their way overseas, umbrellas were regarded as status symbols. Parasols became the must-have fashion accessory They were often decorated to match dresses worn on the promenade. Their stated purpose was to protect delicate skin from the ravages of the sun. Their unspoken purpose was a secret tool for flirtation.

The umbrella was considered to be strictly of a woman’s domain. Hence, a man carrying an umbrella was no gentleman and committing an effeminate sin. Georgian Period gentlemen would persist in the practical use of an umbrella in order to protect himself from the weather for all to witness, despite the outrage. By the late 1700s and early 1800’s men had forfeited their reluctance concerning the umbrella and joined the women in their acclimation to its benefits. Even though the collapsible umbrella was developed around 1800, it would experience some developmental growing pains. The first collapsible design was not as reliable as needed, the ribs would break, the canopy material would tear or disintegrate. Many fabrics used for the canopy would mildew if not allowed to dry properly. The desire to develop a fully functioning umbrella was apparent, for 121 patents were filed in 1850 alone.

By the early Victorian Era, improvements in metallurgy arising from the Industrial Revolution led to stronger alloys for umbrella ribs. Finally, the development of steel as a replacement for whalebone ribs would give the umbrella the staying power it needed. The English and the French continued to love their parasols, which became popular and regular features in fashion magazines and newspapers. They remained light and elegant and were sold in a wide range of styles and colors well into the early 19th century. By the end of the 19th century umbrellas were seen less of a novelty and more of a convenient practical device. During the 18th and 19th centuries quality parasol and umbrella makers had their own retail shops and often offered repair services along with their wares. The repair and refurbish trade flourished during this time. Less expensive and cheaper made umbrellas were sold on the street."
Thanks so much Aquatarian for that fabulous information you provided!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread