This mornings water hunt at the rev war site

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got back out this morning for a quick hunt back at the colonial site that saw Rev War resupply work.

My coin streak for the summer is completely over (unless you count the wheat cent) - it was a good run while it lasted (9 coins) - will have to start a new streak.

This was a lead filled day, still digging plenty of musket balls mostly the two main calibers .70 musket and .58 pistols. I did manage to dig a few pewter buttons mixed within, though they are too corroded to make sense of them. Site is still producing and I believe I will make another good find or two from there. I dug two carved/cut .70 balls which are pretty cool.

All in all I ended the morning with 21 large caliber musket balls, a few small shot (.36-.40), 6 buttons and some other odds and ends.

I even had a nice little friend land to check out the finds.

HH
Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    599.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    670.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    709.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    381 KB · Views: 133
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    470.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 10
digging history, gotta love it!

The gold or gilded ring?
I bet there is much more in there for you. Knowing you and Bill something amazing will come to light.

That cut ball is pretty cool. I just found one the other day and was curious as to why it was done. Any idea why they would cut a musketball?

That cut ball is pretty cool. I just found one the other day and was curious as to why it was done. Any idea why they would cut a musketball?

Out of boredom, some were for usable reasons such as sinkers or pencils....this one I be was just boredom or a game piece

Always the good stuff as usual!

Out of boredom, some were for usable reasons such as sinkers or pencils....this one I be was just boredom or a game piece

I agree... I haven't found a game piece but have found sinkers and a pencil.
Nice finds

Thats a load of lead right there, could make yourself a weight belt for diving.
ZDD

I'm not quite sure how old my current water site dates back to (1940 ?), just using it for a learning curve. I wish it was colonial. Most of my obvious waterways are thick with mud and marsh. Although I'm coming up with some real good ideas, beats digging in the heat and humidity. Great finds, I like ZDD's idea, I'm finding out a weight belt might help,lol!

That was an environmentally friendly hunt Dan as you removed a ton of lead from the water :icon_thumright:. I guess that coin you were looking for was hiding under your water moccasin friend sunning himself on the bank. Still a productive hunt though. BTW - is that a thin, brass wedding band? I doubt it has any markings but still a cool find. Talk to you soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back