This must be a little trade axe

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_2462.JPG
    IMG_2462.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 842
  • IMG_2463.JPG
    IMG_2463.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 731
  • IMG_2465.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_2466.JPG
    IMG_2466.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 744
Upvote 0

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Very nice! That is about the same size as mine (see other topic on axes). Typical Brit axe. Many think the small ones were the weapons, the big ones tools.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks. Several traders were killed by the natives a few miles from here, and had their posts burnt down. The Gros Ventre (Big Bellys) burnt several posts and killed the inhabitants, including women and children, at another post not so far from here also. I find this old iron to be quite facinating and you just never know who actually carried it.
:icon_thumleft:

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Was that the HBC post where they were killed, or was that the Fall Indians I'm thinking of?

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucas said:
Was that the HBC post where they were killed, or was that the Fall Indians I'm thinking of?

The Fall Indians are the Gros Ventre from what I've read, relatives of the Arapho. In the late 1700's a sizable band was centered around the junction of two rivers near by, were the rivers join, then continue down to the major trading post, ................ House. I have been finding artefacts from Indian camps a fair distance from the ................ trade post (1776-80). The Gros Ventre also slaughtered the inhabitants of ............ House, on the ............ river. These posts are North West Company. N.W.Co. traders plied the Indians with a lot of spirits then Pangman I believe gave a noisy individual some laudenum (opium extract?), his buddy didn't realise that the first dose was given, and gave a second. This killed (OD) the native and helped fuel animosities. These traders used laudenum to settle the natives into a sleep if they got too unruly on the alcohol.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started cleaning it up and this is what I can see so far. A letter "A" and then......... ? I just want to spray it with an anti rust agent now and leave it for the winter, so I don't mess it up. If anyone has a possible ID on the marks I'd appreciate the info, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2473.JPG
    IMG_2473.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_2479.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 795

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread