What's new

This ones got me!!!

traderdan

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 30, 2008
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
This one's got me!!!

I'm not sure just where i picked this up, Has birds on it & a skelaton key hole...Hope ya'll can help

Its 61/4" high by 6" wide.... thanxzz ya'll...dan
 

Attachments

  • brass thingy 004.webp
    brass thingy 004.webp
    102.3 KB · Views: 516
  • brass thingy 003.webp
    brass thingy 003.webp
    17 KB · Views: 472
  • brass thingy 005.webp
    brass thingy 005.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 504
  • brass thingy 006.webp
    brass thingy 006.webp
    48.7 KB · Views: 520
Re: This one's got me!!!

Interesting piece. I think it's a key hanger.
 
Upvote 0
Re: This one's got me!!!

the key hole is for a nail head ( of nail pounded into wall) to hold it on the wall-- put nail head in lower end of hole --lower till the top stops its --I say its a old wall mounted key holder --for a place with lots of keys

or a foot scraper for shoes -- mount via the hole to a wood block with the bumps up .
 
Upvote 0
Re: This one's got me!!!

I don't know what it is Dan. If it was hanging on my wall I'd probably be using it as a back scratcher ;D

but... is there any possibility that this might be mideastern? Could it be something along the lines of an olive oil lamp, possibly religious or cultural significance to eight flames? (would probably burn the house down, but they do look more like vessels than hangers :dontknow:

image of individual lamp: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/7357/lamp_n.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: This one's got me!!!

Interesting guess 'whynot'. I think what ever was held, had to be held in the trays. Anything placed between them would fall out soon, and besides that, there is another square tray on the right hand side which must have a purpose also to hold something in it.
 
Upvote 0
Re: This one's got me!!!

Could we a see a pic of the whole thing - and some side-on pics also? If possible, thanks :icon_pirat:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: This one's got me!!!

It looks like the tray can be taken off or opened? More pics would be helpful.
 
Upvote 0
Re: This one's got me!!!

Ashtray?
 
Upvote 0
Re: This one's got me!!!

Traderdan, I'm still betting it was an olive oil lamp manufactured somewhere around the mid-east, maybe in India, especially now that I see that last compartment which I bet held extra wicks. Could you check inside the depressions and see if the patina is diffrent from the rest of the patina on the piece? It should be if it ever got hot.
 
Upvote 0
Re: This one's got me!!!

johnnyi said:
Traderdan, I'm still betting it was an olive oil lamp manufactured somewhere around the mid-east, maybe in India, especially now that I see that last compartment which I bet held extra wicks. Could you check inside the depressions and see if the patina is diffrent from the rest of the patina on the piece? It should be if it ever got hot.

Olive oil lamp mounted against brick/rock wall :icon_thumright: I think johnnyi got it :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom