What's new

This place rocks !!!

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas on the age of these ? There are two photos of each piece except the little looking hand ax core thingy lol
 

Attachments

  • image-3867940663.webp
    image-3867940663.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image-4033159557.webp
    image-4033159557.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1537318177.webp
    image-1537318177.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3326914045.webp
    image-3326914045.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3004763682.webp
    image-3004763682.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 112
  • image-2910181387.webp
    image-2910181387.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 97
  • image-3345663378.webp
    image-3345663378.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 106
  • image-1053173858.webp
    image-1053173858.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2474853282.webp
    image-2474853282.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3720303753.webp
    image-3720303753.webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 97
  • image-341204840.webp
    image-341204840.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 102
  • image-662361227.webp
    image-662361227.webp
    40.4 KB · Views: 104
  • image-1555339010.webp
    image-1555339010.webp
    33.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2819930556.webp
    image-2819930556.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2801737974.webp
    image-2801737974.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0
And these two are worked all the way around the edges . This material does have natural lines in it but you can see the knapping marks as well
 

Attachments

  • image-4058438868.webp
    image-4058438868.webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3317008163.webp
    image-3317008163.webp
    49.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1322142169.webp
    image-1322142169.webp
    46.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2175114601.webp
    image-2175114601.webp
    72 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3455827551.webp
    image-3455827551.webp
    53.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3894410161.webp
    image-3894410161.webp
    57.7 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1850987849.webp
    image-1850987849.webp
    41 KB · Views: 95
  • image-1264506.webp
    image-1264506.webp
    53.4 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2187708071.webp
    image-2187708071.webp
    43.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1367344157.webp
    image-1367344157.webp
    49.2 KB · Views: 105
And is this a very old hand ax ?
 

Attachments

  • image-3311230106.webp
    image-3311230106.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image-203514517.webp
    image-203514517.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2419903154.webp
    image-2419903154.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 89
Snake effigy ?
 

Attachments

  • image-686896825.webp
    image-686896825.webp
    47.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image-411283255.webp
    image-411283255.webp
    42 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2523902941.webp
    image-2523902941.webp
    53.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image-632456697.webp
    image-632456697.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3118820515.webp
    image-3118820515.webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3652461291.webp
    image-3652461291.webp
    51.5 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2365312830.webp
    image-2365312830.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 95
This might sound odd..but I hunted a big quarry site near the Florida Georgia border one time..and big pieces like alot of yours were everywhere.
I personally think some were just practice for a younger man being shown different techniques by an elder... or testing to see how a piece will hold an edge..ect..ect.. worked material was everywhere.
There was no way all of the things I picked up were all tools... that's just common at a quarry.
No offence..but some of what you are showing is just debris.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130918_000031.webp
    ForumRunner_20130918_000031.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
It have found it all in there haha from points to huge cores some I see have been used as tools and a lot that are like you said above sifting through it is really tuff I will take some site pictures tomorrow . Your information just made a light bulb go off in my head thanks
 
You Will inevitably find Some complete tools and points anywhere a lot of time was spent.
 
You're a lucky guy that's a real good area you're in
 
I read an article about the Great Bend settlements and there were large cache with tools and large single flake performs here is where I read it it's very interesting . I just read it by the way ;)
 

Attachments

  • image-1041810985.webp
    image-1041810985.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image-924695603.webp
    image-924695603.webp
    81.7 KB · Views: 96
Yes I am very blessed come on up ill take you lol
 
Awesome finds. Would love to hold them in my hand. So happy for you. Kat :)
 
Thank you so much Kat ;) !!!
 
This might sound odd..but I hunted a big quarry site near the Florida Georgia border one time..and big pieces like alot of yours were everywhere.
I personally think some were just practice for a younger man being shown different techniques by an elder... or testing to see how a piece will hold an edge..ect..ect.. worked material was everywhere.
There was no way all of the things I picked up were all tools... that's just common at a quarry.
No offence..but some of what you are showing is just debris.

Gator bro, this looks like, and I mean the exact same flaking as cores I find. I find these miles from quarry sites.

image-3692663150.webp

The other piece in your pic,

image-3517682552.webp

Why would they take time to utilize one edge? I'm not arguing your hypotheses. They may very well be chunks knocked off of a blank. I'm asking why. Why did they do unnecessary work on this piece? Work that creates an edge suitable for scraping. Perhaps, tools made quick and crude, at the quarry site, for making blanks easier to carry?
 
Gator bro, this looks like, and I mean the exact same flaking as cores I find. I find these miles from quarry sites.

View attachment 870486

The other piece in your pic,

View attachment 870487

Why would they take time to utilize one edge? I'm not arguing your hypotheses. They may very well be chunks knocked off of a blank. I'm asking why. Why did they do unnecessary work on this piece? Work that creates an edge suitable for scraping. Perhaps, tools made quick and crude, at the quarry site, for making blanks easier to carry?

The first one does look like a core from spalling , I have found them in a lot of quarry sites in Arkansas, the other one may look that way because they wanted to remove some defect in the stone or an edge that was to thin, less weight to carry. IMO in a quarry there is no shortage of stone tools that could be used to cut , chop are what ever.
 
I'm sure some were quick on the spot tools..probably for cutting roots when digging out more of the area among other tasks..but many of them don't even have a place you could hold without damaging your hand.
Have you seen a big quarry site?
Worked stone EVERYWHERE .. discarded.
 
I'm sure some were quick on the spot tools..probably for cutting roots when digging out more of the area among other tasks..but many of them don't even have a place you could hold without damaging your hand.
Have you seen a big quarry site?
Worked stone EVERYWHERE .. discarded.

Gator is right, you can not walk thru a quarry site with out the chance of cutting your boot on something and do not fall down, if you do you will bled.
 
Funny thing is is that I do find blocky chunks with no haft at all and no chipped spot from hammering or cutting . Think about if you and let's say a tribe of 75 lived in an area with abundant flint ,freshwater,food ,wood .... Say they lived there for 1000 years how many rocks would of been used ?
 
Here are some chunks with different types of edges ...Sometimes tools are left handed or held with fingers but hey who really knows
 

Attachments

  • image-3220527028.webp
    image-3220527028.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2473521526.webp
    image-2473521526.webp
    36.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2198600729.webp
    image-2198600729.webp
    45.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3039582722.webp
    image-3039582722.webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3461342859.webp
    image-3461342859.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3294694441.webp
    image-3294694441.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-317351113.webp
    image-317351113.webp
    36 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1834329369.webp
    image-1834329369.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image-4286027814.webp
    image-4286027814.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1981508958.webp
    image-1981508958.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 82
I also believe geographic location dictates the whole preform or blank idea . Some places where the mine was there might not of been food or water for a long ways ....
 
True.. but as far as blank or preform.. archaeologicaly speaking..one preceeds the other and through the knapping process there is different stages that are very well understood and can be seen pretty quickly.
You can see if a piece was being broken down in a fashion to continue to the next step or not.
There Was definitely camps at these sites... so the normal artifacts associated with most any camp are usually found nearby.. but the vast majority are large unfinished items,blanks,quick made tools and debitage.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom