Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site won't quit!

went back to my late 1800's early 1900s picnic site today for one last adventure for the year here. Made some cool finds, 4 IHs , 3 V nickels and one very worn shield nickel. Two dimes a 1900 and a 1883 Canada dime witch was a first for me. Last but not least my favorite a super cool hat pin with what looks like a military button on the end and a sweet pocket knife that says ( THE KATY FLYER ). image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg Upside down pictures again, I always get confused using I pad for camera.

Upvote 18
That's definitely a lot of items from a place you hit often. Are you hunting a different section?

You have a nice area to hunt. :thumbsup: Sure looks like you are pulling quality finds :occasion14:

That's definitely a lot of items from a place you hit often. Are you hunting a different section?

Yes, basically what I have been doing is working one, say 5 acre area this year and most for last year. Finds have been getting thin in these 5 acres so today I hit the perimeters in sort of a spiral fashion starting from the out side. Plus I am digging EVERYTHING that even makes a cherp above iron. Also wanted to add this is only the third time and last for 2015 and maybe 6 last year when I found it.

Last edited:
Yeah Im happy I was able to recover the hat pin with out breaking it. That's my favorite from this hunt, need to look into it further.

You did very well for your last hunt at that site. I like the hatpin the most.

GREAT FINDS GOOD JOB..& GOOD SITE..Glad to see Im not the only one digging shotgun brass & casings........

Last edited:
What about the ring?

Nice finds.

LOL! the rings... this is one of factors witch lead me to believe this was some type of canarival grounds years ago. Last summer I dug 30 of these rings in a 10' area. Leads me to believe some one spilled the prize box... They are just cheep trinket rings.

DANG HELIX NICE BUNCH OF FINDS MY FREIND AND THE LADIES HAT PIN IS NEAT A HECK . DANG GOOD SPOT YOUR HUNTING ......

Helix, with your hatpin you made me look back into my relic drawer.I found mine years ago and the top of it has a lions head depicted on the front and on the back in very very small letters it states Lion Buggy Co -Cincinnati O.It is very fragile and has been put in it's own plastic tube.

That's a hot spot you have there. Less than 10 hunts on virgin land is barely scratching the surface. I heard you mention picnic grove and a possible site for carnivals. Five acres and you have only hit it a total of 9 times. Yep, there's still some goodies there. Good hunt & looking forward to seeing what else that spot is going to give you.

That's a hot spot you have there. Less than 10 hunts on virgin land is barely scratching the surface. I heard you mention picnic grove and a possible site for carnivals. Five acres and you have only hit it a total of 9 times. Yep, there's still some goodies there. Good hunt & looking forward to seeing what else that spot is going to give you.

I agree most likely that I'm the first person to detect that area. I have other similar site in my area I found that was used during the civil war for fundraisers. It was a just a couple of sentences I read talking about how events were held in the woods east of John does farm during the summers of 1862,63,64. Low and behold John does farm and woods are still there today! Still working on permission for that site. More then likely this site was used during those years and went back to cattle pasture up till modern times. Kind of place any high tones could become very exciting. :icon_cheers: I probably try and film live digs if I can ever gain access.

Sweet digs!!! You gotta love those spots where you just keep going and never leave empty-handed!:icon_thumleft:

with so many targets I'd say that place has much more in store for you.
Can I see a close up of your CAN. 10 cent piece ? Head side esp.
All vicky canadian Silver are tough to get from the ground. I got maybe 2-3 dimes, and only one quarter in 8 years.
It's a 50 dollar bill in G4. I see a better pic, I'll give a better grade.
Nice find(s) all around, yes the pin is a nice find too...of course.

with so many targets I'd say that place has much more in store for you.
Can I see a close up of your CAN. 10 cent piece ? Head side esp.
All vicky canadian Silver are tough to get from the ground. I got maybe 2-3 dimes, and only one quarter in 8 years.
It's a 50 dollar bill in G4. I see a better pic, I'll give a better grade.
Nice find(s) all around, yes the pin is a nice find too...of course.

I guess that dime is kind of a somewhat rare find if you have only found 3 in 8 years and your in Canada and I'm in northern Illinois. Anyhow I looked closer and now I realized it is actually 82 not 83, and I see the 83 has some value. Still nice to learn it's a somewhat tough find. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg These are best pictures I have on hand, apologies if they are upside down. This weekend I am getting camera issues resolved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back