What's new

This snow is killing me...

smt24219

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2014
Messages
29
Reaction score
21
Golden Thread
0
Location
Big Stone Gap, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all tomorrow off from occupational therapy school and I was pumped because while cold, it was supposed to be clear. I was ready to try out my MD again.

It has now been snowing for the last 8 hours. :( I'm left to simply watch my UPS shipping updates to see where my pro pointer is. lol
 
You're not alone, I live in central Alabama and it just came a snowstorm here.. It started snowing about 10 a.m. this morning and is supposed to continue till sometime Thursday.. This just isn't right for Alabama.
 
There was aout 8 inches of snow here last week, but it has not yet melted, nearly a week later. I would hate to dig a target (or try to with the frozen ground, maybe the melt water has thawed it at least partially) and leava a brown spot in the snow...
 
I hear ya ! In Colorado with 20" of frozen ground. Today was supposed to get 2in it's still snowing and have 6" on the ground. I enjoy reading everyone else's finds, but itching to get out myself....Ugh!!!
 
Man you ain't kidding I purchased a 15" Coiltek WOT coil for my minelab & it has snowed everyday since it got here....I'm about to go crazy geeeezzzzzzzz
 
I do believe it was +41 degrees in some place in Alaska yesterday, while it's in the teens and snowing here in Mass. And snowing in places down south that rarely gets snow! There's something just wrong about that! Have we gone from global warming to global freezing?
I feel your pain!
I am hoping By some miracle come Sunday I can actually get my digger into the ground! I won't care if it's snowing I'll zip bag the detector and go MD'ing! Oh pleeeeeeeeeease I need to go MD'ing!!!!!!
 
Open a ski resort and get rich, y'all. SeekerMD I guess you're up there north of Ft. Collins and I hope this round all the snow stays on the Front Range. But the forecast says we're in line for maybe 2 ft. here in the mountains. 'Ski Tupelo'! That would make a nice bumper sticker.
 
I'll never understand how 2 inches of snow can shut the whole state down.. I lived in Maine for 4 years and sometimes the snow up there got waist deep or worse and it was just another normal business day. Down here in Alabama, it can come just a light dusting and you would think it was the blizzard of the century.. The governor even called out the National Guard.. People just get dumber than dirt when a snowflake falls here.. :dontknow:
 
Usually because the state and county have little snow cleaning supplies for the roads and the residents have even less snow driving experience ......






American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
 
Usually because the state and county have little snow cleaning supplies for the roads and the residents have even less snow driving experience ......




.

absolutely ! if what happened in Georgia, happened up here,
I doubt PenDot would have even sprinkled salt
& it still would have been a normal day.

I must admit though with the amount of traffic on the road down there,
the heat from the tires should have cleared the roads.

We used to have shutdowns on interstate 81 in the early 70's
when it first opened here, But it was over foot deep snow storms & the lack of
Pendot crews Experience with as many southern state drivers ,
who would park their cars on the interstate, and walk for shelters :laughing7:
 
Open a ski resort and get rich, y'all. SeekerMD I guess you're up there north of Ft. Collins and I hope this round all the snow stays on the Front Range. But the forecast says we're in line for maybe 2 ft. here in the mountains. 'Ski Tupelo'! That would make a nice bumper sticker.

We're expecting 6 to 8 inches today, but your looking closes to 15" up their.
 
Don't know if this helps but we will be in the 80s this weekend...:D






American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
 
Snow driving tips from a northerner:

-slow down!
-look far ahead for break lights and take your foot off the gas, try to plan it to not use the breaks.
-if you must break go easy on them and use sparingly (even with abs)
-increase to 10 car lengths from the car in front of you
-if you have front wheel drive don't be afraid to use the e-break to kick the back end around in a turn (practice in an empty parking lot)
-don't follow plows too close, on their initial pass they can make things more slippery before the salt takes effect
-be careful when changing lanes and leaving the tire tracks, it can throw you out of control---stay in your lane as much as possible
-don't be a show off and pass people, don't worry, that's the guy you see in a ditch a mile ahead



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Snow driving tips from a northerner:

-slow down!
-look far ahead for break lights and take your foot off the gas, try to plan it to not use the breaks.
-if you must break go easy on them and use sparingly (even with abs)
-increase to 10 car lengths from the car in front of you
-if you have front wheel drive don't be afraid to use the e-break to kick the back end around in a turn (practice in an empty parking lot)
-don't follow plows too close, on their initial pass they can make things more slippery before the salt takes effect
-be careful when changing lanes and leaving the tire tracks, it can throw you out of control---stay in your lane as much as possible
-don't be a show off and pass people, don't worry, that's the guy you see in a ditch a mile ahead



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's a shame, but it is probably illegal for new teen drivers to use Mall Parking lots
to do donuts on snow these days :(

odds are police would rather arrest them then give them a few hints & tell them to be careful as they
practice / play :(


someone should create a large practice area for drivers to use
& test & learn what can & can't be done.
 
Last edited:
Don't know if this helps but we will be in the 80s this weekend...:D

after a record Low this morning of 0 ,Weather channel says it will be
at least 40° f. Friday, Sat & Sunday :headbang:
I hope they are right.

Will be awesome to get out & get some work done, Trash burned, etc..
 
Last edited:
Supposed to hit the 50s here on Sat. Hope so. We have a 5 hour trip one way to the Raleigh NC area to pick up a quilting machine the wife found on craigslist. Going to swing through Mayberry (Mt Airy) and see if Barney is around on the way through. I've always wanted to go there. OOPS.. correction.. I was just informed we are going tomorrow.. LoL. Silly me for thinking I knew what the plan was.
 
Last edited:
Supposed to hit the 50s here on Sat. Hope so. We have a 5 hour trip one way to the Raleigh NC area to pick up a quilting machine the wife found on craigslist. Going to swing through Mayberry (Mt Airy) and see if Barney is around on the way through. I've always wanted to go there.

every time we hit 50's here this winter, we had drenching rains that only stopped
when the temps hit 30's :(

Tue & Wed they are calling for ice here at this time
 
It has finally eased up here. Hopefully I'll get to do some hunting this afternoon. The ground will probably be rock solid though. Has anyone ever found that to affect metal detectors? I didn't know if maybe it changed conductivity.
 
Lol. I couldn't even break ground with the shovel. Frozen solid.
 
Next 3 days 40's and rain or flurries. Above freezing is good, now if the ground would just cooperate!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom