What's new

This story made me cringe

gtfan76

Full Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2010
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Well my brother doesn't collect coins or anything but he does find them interesting and has basic knowledge on them. (a lot better that most teenagers these days) Well we go to different schools because he switched to one of those city schools for a better baseball program. Anyway, he told me today that when he gave the cashier lunch lady his lunch money, he saw 2 Morgan dollars that he said were pretty nice shape, in her register. He asked for them but because he only had 2 dollars and he had already picked his lunch out. She said no. By this time, I am freaking out and kinda ticked off. Then he tells me that he also saw a couple of silver quarters as well......
Man that killed me. I think only about 3% of kids these days know anything about old U.S. coins or currency. Kinda sad if you ask me. Me and this one other kid at my school are the only I know of that collect coins. And hes not that serious about it. If only the kid who spent that knew the value of those coins.
 
Upvote 0
Hopefully they weren't shiny CC's from dad's collection. Kind of sad that some kids are that clueless, but this is precisely the reason why searching school lunch money is great for finding silver.
 
It said that most kids dont know about coins my nine year old is pro at coins he always has extra cash with him he has bought some old coins from the lunch ladys have your brother ask the ladys to save them for him and buy them at the end of the week. happy hunting Ron
 
gold eye said:
It said that most kids dont know about coins my nine year old is pro at coins he always has extra cash with him he has bought some old coins from the lunch ladys have your brother ask the ladys to save them for him and buy them at the end of the week. happy hunting Ron

Well thats one kid out of like 30 to 40 kids. And thats a good idea I might try that. Thanks ron!
 
When I was in elementary school. Early 1970s. The lunch lady would let me pick through the coins . back then I only checked the pennies. I didnt have the extra money to do the silver. But boy did i get alot of wheaties.1000s that I still have today. THats why when I read about people finding 6 or 12, and being excited, I kind of think back and laugh.
 
ooohhhh...damn...that makes my eyes start to water.....this story hurts me emotionally.....haha, THAT CLOSE!!! but, yet so far away...good luck on trying to have him persuade the lunch lady to save them! keep it up and hh
 
Hurts me more someone needed to use them to buy a school lunch. Its storys like this that tell me the truth about where our country is headed.
 
Very good point, JD-GA.

Assuming the coins were spent in desperation to pay for a kid's lunch, it is a bit sad that the mom or dad that sent that Morgan off could have gotten $20 for it, +/-, which would have been enough to buy lunch for two weeks.
 
wow what a cringe story... i would have been asking to borrow money from anyone...
i believe thats how my mom got a lot of silver from being a lunch lady... and also casinos when they worked on coins... she didnt find TONS but a nice chunk...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom