Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend's finds

I took my Tesoro Tiger Shark out and hunted during a torrential downpour. I was in the woods so I didn't have to worry about making a mess of someone's lawn. I found my first V nickel today, a 1911, pretty corroded. I found 2 buckles, one of them is not metal (some kind of rubber or plastic), by the base of a very large old tree. The large tool or axe-like object was about a foot deep under some tree roots. I almost gave up digging.
The small rock-like object appears natural and might be some kind of metal-rich ore. It gave a very loud signal like a piece of silver. I would not expect to find a silver nugget in NJ, but this rock is not magnetite. It also doesn't look like lead. Whatever it is, it appears rounded as if by stream action.

The old horseshoe piece was under rocks in the soil. I would not care to repeat that digging episode. At least it's an old one (looks like square nails)

The .22 round is live, but the bullet is almost corroded away. It's an old one! Next to it is what appears to be a fired .22 bullet. The other 2 coins above the V nickel are a Jefferson (date unreadable) and a Memorial cent (date also unreadable). The area all this came from has had one use or another going all the way back into the mid 1700's.

Not shown: a mountain of pull tabs, foil, rusty nails, and pieces of wire. :P

Oh, also the light bulb screw threaded object is a very old fuse with a mica window. It has lettering on it but needs to be cleaned up so I can read it. The spoon is silver plated, mostly gone, over copper. The other iron object is a mystery. Piece of a bootscraper??

Attachments

• Coins-and-Relics-June-4-2006.jpg
    Coins-and-Relics-June-4-2006.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 351
Upvote 0
Re: This weekend's finds

congrats on finding your first V nickle, that is great thing about this hobby you never know what is going to turn up next
hh
dave+bobbie

V nickles are scarce around anywhere I know of. GREAT Finds... Sounds like you had to work pretty hard for them. Are you happy with your Tiger Shark? Have you used it at the beach or just plan on a lot of rain? ?? HH, Ralph

petersra said:
V nickles are scarce around anywhere I know of. GREAT Finds... Sounds like you had to work pretty hard for them. Are you happy with your Tiger Shark? Have you used it at the beach or just plan on a lot of rain? ?? HH, Ralph

I really like my Tiger Shark. I've used it at the beach a couple times and found it works great on wet or dry sand. If you use it in the water, you should turn down the sensitivity to about 1/2, and you also have to get the ground balance right. Black sand still causes a lot of falsing when you're in the water, but you can get used to it and look for only the solid, repeatable signals.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! I'm really happy with my haul :)

Congrats on the first V nickle.

HH Jer

very nice. obviously this spot in the woods has seen some people over the years. do you know any background on the site?

I also forgot to say, I was covered from head to toe in mud, I cut my hand on my digging tool, I got dirt in my eyes, and I worked my fingers digging until I was aching. They're pretty sore today! So I do appreciate how much work goes into finding good stuff.

Those treasure magazines are great to read, and I love 'em, but I have learned to be happy from finding just 1 old coin on any given trip. If not a coin, at least some neat old relic that had some identifiable purpose. I was trying to be like this one guy I read about in a magazine (or was it on this forum?) who said he won't stop hunting for the day until he finds at least 2 old coins. I worked and worked, but a second old coin just wasn't happening for me.

From what I've read, I don't see a lot of V nickels being found by MD'ers either. I'm not sure why that is.

hollowpointred said:
very nice. obviously this spot in the woods has seen some people over the years. do you know any background on the site?

Back in the 1700's it was part of a larger farm. Around 1900 they started using it for get-togethers in the town. Judging from their size, most of the trees weren't there back then. I do not know if some of these get-togethers happened even earlier than 1900, because there is a big gap in my knowledge of the place. Until about 1984 or '85 they had a little community fair there. They had pony rides and stuff. I used to go when I was a child. I used to love the magnetic fishing game ;D

In the 80's and 90's it was hunted quite a bit by at least 2 or 3 detectorists (other than me). I had never found a single old coin there, but a couple weeks ago I took out my same White's that I had back then, and I found my first Large Cent and first Indian Head. Then, yesterday, my Tesoro Tiger Shark yielded my first V nickel, only 2 inches deep in soft soil. I was pretty sure the place was hunted out all those years, too!

Part of the wooded area borders a friend's property. They live in an old house built around 1860. That edge portion was apparently the dump. There is a very rusted, very old tricycle wheel sticking partly out of the lawn there. I won't pull it up because there is too much grass and moss growing in it. That whole area gets tons of junk signals. There are a lot of rusted metal hoops where people were throwing their Christmas wreaths over the years. Also in the woods is a spot loaded with beer cans. I think some of the local kids used to go there and drink in the woods. There is some corrugated metal and a lot of rusty iron wire.

I found a chrome trim piece of a 1950's or 60's car in there. I'm not sure what part it is, maybe a headlight frame piece, but I know it's from a car. I have no idea what else could be buried there.

allen said:
wtg on your first v nickel. maybe that rock is part of a meteor? ....

thanks! I don't know if it's a meteor, but that would be very cool. I might try to determine its density. It won't stick to a magnet, but it's obviously not an ordinary rock. (Even on Disc level 4 or 5 it sets off the detector loudly!).

I did find a few lumps of what appears to be coal or coke that set off the detector, but they're not at all as loud as this little smooth rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back