Thomas Edison oil bottle

Eyefind

Jul 11, 2021
Pa
Detector(s) used
Garret 250, Garret pro pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this bottle with a plant and moss growing in it. Normally I clean them out but I decided to cork it and keep it as a mini terrarium. What do you think? 20210715_194405.jpg 20210715_194436.jpg 20210715_194452.jpg 20210715_194251.jpg

Upvote 10

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bottle!!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Edison was no dummy his battery oil was not oil he just called it that so they would buy his acid and if you were smart and put oil in your battery it would ruin it and have to buy a new one from him . last time i saw one it was $20 or $30 dollars...check ebay

OP
OP
Eyefind

Eyefind

Jul 11, 2021
Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VILLAGENUT I got 6 more I cleaned. The ones in the back of the picture are ones I have to get to. Thought it would be cool to keep this one as is. Of course if all the greenery dies I will for sure do that. 20210717_190145.jpg

OP
OP
Eyefind

Eyefind

Jul 11, 2021
Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my bottle collection to date. If you would like to know more or want me to take a picture of any up close let me know and message me. 20210717_191453.jpg 20210717_191432.jpg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found enough of them, I reckon it would be just fine to keep one as a terrerium. That by the way is a Good position to be in. The only thing I find in multiples are bromo seltzers...and I think I left a root sticking out of one for a while, due to its unique look that way.

OP
OP
Eyefind

Eyefind

Jul 11, 2021
Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm in a good spot. Sometimes I wish I had more hands. Looks like they used parts of the mountain as an old dump or something. I find most of them when the big oak trees fall over. The bromo bottles are def. my favorite.

OP
OP
Eyefind

Eyefind

Jul 11, 2021
Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3cylbill, I did not know that bit of information but that sounds like something he would do. He had good business sense.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice collection there I can tell you have been doing this a while nice finds

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edison was no dummy his battery oil was not oil he just called it that so they would buy his acid and if you were smart and put oil in your battery it would ruin it and have to buy a new one from him . last time i saw one it was $20 or $30 dollars...check ebay

3cylbill, I did not know that bit of information but that sounds like something he would do. He had good business sense.

I don’t think so! The bottles did contain an oil, used in nickel-iron storage batteries. These were invented and patented by Waldemar Jungner in 1899, and the design was improved upon by Thomas Edison in 1901.

Edison claimed his batteries would last you a lifetime. They were good for about 30-50 years or more and not harmed by deep discharge, prolonged periods of non-use, or repeated recharging at high rate. In many ways superior to lead/acid batteries, but larger and much more expensive (partly because it would be poor marketing to sell an inexpensive battery that wouldn’t need replacing).

The series-connected cells containing potassium hydroxide electrolyte were protected by the addition of a viscous non-conductive oil. This was poured into each cell and formed a layer floating on top of the electrolyte that reduced evaporation and inhibited gassing… both over time and during repeated re-charging. I don’t know what the composition of the oil was, but it was probably a synthetic, and unopened bottles show it to be pale red in colour.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: Edison changed name from "Edison Manufacturing Company" to "Thomas A. Edison Inc." in 1911 and then moved location in 1915 after a fire at his factory. From that date, the bottles say “Bloomfield NJ” rather than “Orange NJ”.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions