What's new

thought id give it a shot...

IDdesertman

Full Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Messages
179
Reaction score
211
Golden Thread
0
Location
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thought i'd give it a shot...

Went to the bank today to give CRHing a shot. When I said I wanted $500 worth of halves, the teller said he'd have to make a withdrawl from the safe. He talked to his superior and she came over and talked with me. She asked if I was a coin collector. I said I was. She told me that all she had was the coins that come from the mint and that there wouldn't be anything worthwhile in there. She did say that she would hold on to the stuff that people bring in for the next few weeks for me if I came back in a few weeks, which was nice. But from the posts i've read it sounds like the coins from the mint are what many of you are sorting thru, is this correct? Thanks for the help!
 
Upvote 0
Re: thought i'd give it a shot...

Go back to the bank and with a big smile say "Order me a BOX!" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 
Re: thought i'd give it a shot...

This is a type of gambling where you don't lose money. If they have halves buy them. If you don't find any silver you can always spend them.
 
Re: thought i'd give it a shot...

Great, I'll go back to the bank tomorrow. Just thought I would double check with you guys. Thanks for the help!
 
Re: thought i'd give it a shot...

Personally I take whatever is available, even if they tell me there's nothing good in there. Sometimes people think 1964's are the only Kennedy's worth keeping, unaware of 40's, proofs and mint set halves. Othertimes people have told me that fed boxes only have new coins, which is usually not true.

Also ... if they offer me something, I take it. I don't want the big score to be the one that got away because some teller thought, "hmmm, the last time he was here he wasn't that interesting in anymore X ... oh well, I won't bother keeping it for him."

Brian
 
Re: thought i'd give it a shot...

By the way...that teller may not quite have a clue. Perhaps she may think anything she orders from the Fed would be considered 'from the mint'.

Not only that, freshly minted halves do not exist for public circulation. They can only be found in mint sets, sold to collectors. They stopped minting halves for general circulation after 2001.
So there is currently no such thing as 'from the mint' halves available at any bank.

Heck, I was at my bank branch one day when the Brinks truck brought my order in. The Brinks guard said the halves came from the Federal Reserve Bank.

So if I were you, I would firstly order a box, but secondly I would ask if I could have some of those 'mint' rolls, so I could search through them. Yes I have gotten rolls that were all 100% spanking 'new', but they were dated 1997.

You never know....
:)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom