Thoughts on CTX3030

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could. 3 hrs in and my arm cant take it. Its not pain just outright fatigue. So I made a shoulder mount yesterday and plan to try it out next week. The machine however is incredible so I have to make it work.

A few things I used to do with my E-Trac was to shorten the rod and make sure I let my arm hang naturally at my side. It almost seems automatic to try to hold it in front of you, but it's harder on the shoulder. Shortening the rod brings the balance point back towards the hand. It shortens the swing arc, but I preferred to have smaller sweeps and still be able to hunt. Lastly, pay attention to HOW you move your arm when you swing. If you are making an unusual movement that can really add up over time to wear you out.

Just a few things you can try if you haven't already.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few things I used to do with my E-Trac was to shorten the rod and make sure I let my arm hang naturally at my side. It almost seems automatic to try to hold it in front of you, but it's harder on the shoulder. Shortening the rod brings the balance point back towards the hand. It shortens the swing arc, but I preferred to have smaller sweeps and still be able to hunt. Lastly, pay attention to HOW you move your arm when you swing. If you are making an unusual movement that can really add up over time to wear you out.

Just a few things you can try if you haven't already.

Thanks much. Looks like I'll be able to get out tomorrow so will try and work it out.

dirtdiggler10

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2014
The Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Golden Umax (old tones), and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing that might be an option is to get a M4/M16 combat sling. I attached it to my ace250 and used to swing it with impunity. I used past tense because I swing a Deus now, but the combat sling was a god send.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX kicks the crap out of a deus . period......

I think you will find a number of people that have extensive experience with both that would strongly disagree with that statement. Much depends on site conditions, targets and how important the Deus form factor is to you. There are some that cannot swing a CTX all day, it kicks them! Yet the light weight of the Deus allows them to enjoy the hobby more than a CTX ever would.

I own both and feel they both have their pros and cons. I doubt that someone very experienced with either would leave much undiscovered for the other in most average hunting situations. In other sites one or the other will have an edge.

I do find the CTX a little easier to just turn on and go.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
After 6 years using an Explorer II,I got a CTX.I had a surprising hard time adapting to the sounds,but even though they way the same.the CTX is way better balanced and much easier to hunt all day with.

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the 3030 feel much lighter when swinging in water about waist deep ?

Thanks

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the 3030 feel much lighter when swinging in water about waist deep ?

The machine's balance point doesn't change because it is submerged. However, the swing speed is slowed due to the opposition by the water. It isn't any more tiring than on land - the slower swing compensates for the slight increase in effort pushing it through the water. I do like that when you let the machine go it just floats next to you - neutral balanced in salt water.

Jackalope

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine's balance point doesn't change because it is submerged. However, the swing speed is slowed due to the opposition by the water. It isn't any more tiring than on land - the slower swing compensates for the slight increase in effort pushing it through the water. I do like that when you let the machine go it just floats next to you - neutral balanced in salt water.

Jackalope

Thank you Jackalope !

Last edited:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just an update that I made a shoulder harness and solved the CTX weight issue. I've hunted with the unit a half dozen times since and its weightless. Its definitely an incredible machine.

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update that I made a shoulder harness and solved the CTX weight issue. I've hunted with the unit a half dozen times since and its weightless. Its definitely an incredible machine.

Pictures ?

Thanks

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pictures ?

Thanks
Oh this thing is ugly. lol. I made it from an old apple discount drugs arm sling and some bungie cords. In fact I call it ''detector underwear''. lol. But that was just so I could see if I wanted to keep the CTX at all. Now that I'm keeping the detector I am going to order the pro swing. It was probably a good thing to go through because now I'll use a harness with any detector I swing from here on out. There's nothing really to get used to and I can swing for 10 hrs and feel pretty good at the end of the day. Even when I was much younger, at the end of the day I'd feel worn out from detecting that long.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree.....Just got mine and have done real good with just the basics and that's coming from a die hard CZ-21 Fan

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I agree with Dave, I had heard stories about the learning curve, but I immediately started finding more good stuff and less junk.

Still learning 9 months later, much more proficient and confident, but I do not think that it is hard to learn at all.

I have used many machines before, so perhaps that helps.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a noob I did not find it hard at all to use. Did get the pro swing after the first time out. This is a machine you can grow with for sure, but until I become an expert, it works very good for me. When others are on the beach while hunting, I am looking to see what they are doing. I know I am finding many more targets than the others.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You can see what I own on the left.

The 3030 is my favorite machine.

I can make it do a lot of different things very quickly, adjust it for the conditions easily, and I enjoy hunting with it.

What I really appreciate is that I can identify two separate targets that are very close to each other.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I really appreciate is that I can identify two separate targets that are very close to each other.
Agreed! The target trace feature is very good to have in trash!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see what I own on the left.

The 3030 is my favorite machine.

I can make it do a lot of different things very quickly, adjust it for the conditions easily, and I enjoy hunting with it.

I had 3 distinct and separate targets on my display last hunt. I couldnt isolate just the coin by pinpointing, but I dug anyway and sure enough, there it was!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love target trace as I can see multiple targets at same time and know which ones I want to dig.

Agreed! Very good at helping identifying coin spill or a good target next to trash.

We have a video on our CTX 3030 webpage with Evan finding a coil spill and calling it out before the dig. Very cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread