Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve seen a lot of “experts” lately on various shows and some articles talk about certain areas, many of them in California, and they say the so and so tribe has been here for 10,000 years and then they talk about historical interactions with the same tribes.

This kind of assumption bothers me. I can’t imagine any band has remained in one area peacefully and maintained a continuous identity for 10,000 years. As more and more people claim such a thing it has me wondering if maybe I’ve got it wrong

Is there really any merit to a person claiming a group has lived in a certain valley for 10,000 years? Personally I think it’s a sloppy conclusion combining two facts they know, who was here historically, and how long have people been in North America. Spreading misinformation can cause confusion for those who have an interest in history.

One last thought I’ve had is it a political maneuver? if they can claim a group has been in an area throughout history then they can grant all ownership of artifacts to said tribe. I guess it makes things simple if that’s the case.

Personally I think a Clovis band stopping in the valley is a completely different group from the woodland groups which were different from historic tribes. People move, fight, bands die off, places experience drought, fire, floods, groups split, and mix. I just think it silly to say a named tribe has been around 10,000 years.

I’m curious if others feel differently or if these “experts” were just people with opinions that helped support the direction of the show or article.

I’ll throw in something to look at an all txt seems a bit boring, feel free to do the same if you want with your response
23595D14-A0D3-4B19-B08C-96D3850A7CD1.jpeg

Upvote 10

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A very good and easy study on this is to track the various Athabaskan peoples from Alaska to Arizona and points in-between. These folks are late-comers comparably speaking. Well known tribes like Apache and Navaho had to displace others to occupy their present day ranges.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... it’s all politics. Anything to make the USA the bad guy in the storyline.
this is true....but the reality is that it was all European conquest. Conquest that was once quite fashionable, as brutal as it may have been. As far as a band being in one area for 10,000 years.... yeah I've seen this stated many times at places I've visited. City of Rocks, NM as an example. Occupied for that long? perhaps. same band or tribe? Impossible to know.

Last edited:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
this is true....but the reality is that it was all European conquest. Conquest that was once quite fashionable, as brutal as it may have been. As far as a band being in one are for 10,000 years.... yeah I've seen this stated many times at places I've visited. City of Rocks, NM as an example. Occupied for that long? perhaps. same band or tribe? Impossible to know.
...Today, it is all politics.
In science wouldn’t it be evolution?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
An even better example is the migration/conquest history of the British Isles.... 10,000 years of continuous mono-culture habitation?.... I think not!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions