Thoughts on Toltec II for beginner

RebelBugler

Jul 9, 2007
I'm in the process of looking for a detector and, after research, have decided that Tesoro is the way to go. My budget is around $250, which can buy a new Silver Umax with lifetime warranty. My other option is a used Toltec II in good condition. Currently, I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. The Toltec has more bells and whistles but is now approaching 10-12 years old. In its time, it was considered a professional machine. The Silver Umax is a simpler, all around machine with newer technology. My intended usage will generally be CW relic hunting, with an occasional visit to the beach. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Has the technology of the Silver outpaced the older Toltec with all its bells and whistles? Thanks for your thoughts

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
The Silver Umax. The Toltec is heavier and older technology. Plus, if you buy it used, you don't technically get the warranty. The Silver Umax is an excellent machine and has good depth for such a simple machine. If you are looking at the bells and whistles, an new ACE 250 would probably be a better option than an old Toltec in that price range.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Silver for sure. The Ace 250 is a great coinshooter, but for relics the Silver wins hands down and has more coil choices.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely the silver. If you can manage it, the Cibola at $340 would be even better.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cibola is nice, but the word "budget" appearing in the post leads me to believe the better choice is still the Silver. The Coils for the Silver are less expensive than the HOT coils for the Cibola, and for $340 he could have the Silver plus a good used 10X12" coil that would be great for CW relics. Plus if you want to believe this review:

Depth Test

the Silver will do as well as the Cibola.

Dan

OP
OP
R

RebelBugler

Jul 9, 2007
Thanks to all for the great advice! A Silver Max seems to be the right choice for my use and budget.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread