What's new

Thoughts?

CHUDs

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2014
Messages
440
Reaction score
677
Golden Thread
0
Location
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these at a turned over field near my home. The curved piece seems shaped like and abrader of sorts but I don’t know...The second piece is very polished and is broken on the back...not sure but I feel it is definitely an artifact. I’m going to clean them up a bit and post fresh pics. As always, thanks.



ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525560122.295709.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525560136.248260.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525560151.616352.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525560163.464082.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525560188.451554.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525560198.602061.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525560209.228936.webp
 
Upvote 0
My non-professional opinion on those pieces is that they're naturally shaped stones rather than tools.
 
Hey Chud. They appear to be natural and not worked. Did you find any other debatage or worked flakes? The kind of thing I also pick up and inspect then toss back down saying bummer, Lol.
 
It’s a site...there were work flakes all over. The polish on the round piece caught my eye and the shape of the curved piece...no other stones either. I’ll stick em outside! Thanks!
 
The round piece shows use wear very well in those pics imho.
 
It’s a site...there were work flakes all over. The polish on the round piece caught my eye and the shape of the curved piece...no other stones either. I’ll stick em outside! Thanks!

You will pull some stuff out of there.
 
I already have...just interested in these 2 that kinda caught my eye!
 
From your other posts you obviously find some relics, so if they are smoothed or feel unnatural, they are probably fractured grinding stones of some sort. Between piñón nuts in the hills, other types of nuts, and the massively important acorn harvest, groups in California pounded and ground a lot of their calories.
 
When I first saw the side of the polished one I thought a celt? But I’m not sure the natives had much in the way of hardstone tools beyond acorn grinders and hide softeners. Does anyone know if there was native woodworking tools like celts in CA? Thanks for everyone’s input.
 
Is it polished, or fractured water smoothed cobble? Either way, if you're finding points and flakes in the same area, there is a good possibility it was fractured by the hand of man. Sometimes we cannot know with certainty. I for one was not there. You'll get different opinions here...which are all good.
 
What up Chud. That second piece looks polished to me. Here is a celt. I hope some of these pics shed some light on artifacts from our area. It is a unique hardstone in which can be flaked and pecked and ground. One beveled side is pecked and the other is flaked or chipped.These are creek finds on private property.
20180506_141610.webp
20180506_142026.webp
20180506_142019.webp
20180506_141952.webp
20180506_141841.webp
20180506_141948.webp
20180506_141749.webp

Here are a couple discoidal's
20180506_142345.webp
20180506_142757.webp
20180506_142754.webp
One is sandstone quartz and the other is blue schist. I believe they are gamestones biscuit type. Here's one found made of brick probably made in the 1800s.
20180506_142958.webp
20180506_143007.webp

Some of our wood working tools take on a different shape then what you see online. For the most part we have more adzes then Celts. Grooved axes are around. I'll post one here soon. At the bottom im not sure if the grooved charmstone came out. What is most plentiful are charmstone they are each uniquely shaped so much as so they would be hard to categorize.
 

Attachments

  • 20180506_144308.webp
    20180506_144308.webp
    332.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20180506_144340.webp
    20180506_144340.webp
    222.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I’ve definitely found grinding stones made out of the same material as the discoidals. It seems to be plentiful in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom