Thrashing the wheat

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
What a beautiful day for a hunt! :icon_sunny: Tim was tied up, but Mark was able to join me at a spot that Mark, Tim, Mayo, & I had done well at in the past. I decided to try for the hazy signals to see if there was still more there. Well, a chilly breeze was blowing, so I unloaded the backpack to put on a sweatshirt and hear "Silver!" not once, but twice within two minutes. Nice! Mark had two silvers before I even turned my detector on! :-\ ;D

There were plenty of weak signals to dig, and I started pulling up wheaties one after another, and then an '09 Indian. Try as I might to imagine an "S" mint mark, none could be found.

Snake small.jpg

After a bit, we headed into the woods for a long hike. On the way we met one of the locals, out getting some sun.

Rosie dirt small.jpg

Then I happened upon a wheatie spill. I worked that puppy for a good 10 minutes, pulling 8 wheats including what I think is a steel cent or what's left of it before finding a Rosie in the bottom of the hole. Good deal! :thumbsup:

Peary small.jpg

A little while later I found this brass plate with no patent date. I first thought it was a stove nameplate. Any ideas?

Bullet.jpg

Then I got an Indian signal and dug up a piece of wood that was making the probe sing. It was a rotting tree branch or trunk piece and when I flexed it, a chunk broke off revealing the bullet that had lodged inside it. I thought that was cool...

Dimes small.jpg

On the way out I hit the first spot again and dug what I thought was a cent until I rubbed it and saw Liberty. It is the darkest silver dime I've ever dug! :thumbsup:

Cents small.jpg

So it was a beautiful day to be out there, I dug more wheats than I've ever dug in one day, and while I didn't do it in the first five minutes of the hunt like someone I know, ::) I got my two silvers! :thumbsup:

Thanks for checking out my post and HH all! :wink:

Attachments

• Snake small.jpg
    Snake small.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Rosie dirt small.jpg
    Rosie dirt small.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Peary small.jpg
    Peary small.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Bullet.jpg
    Bullet.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Dimes small.jpg
    Dimes small.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 184
It sure was a nice day to be out Neil. Wtg working all those wheaties out of that one
spill. Nice 1909 I.H., found plenty of bullets this year myself but none still in the wood.
2 silvers :icon_thumright: Great job getting the snake to pose for you.

Oh wow! Looks like the ears are adjusting to those silver tones again. :thumbsup:

Great Wheat day, and a beauty of a IH day! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

Lookn4Seated said:
Oh wow! Looks like the ears are adjusting to those silver tones again. :thumbsup:
---------------------------------------- AND legs still funcjoning ,congratulations for ability !!!!

Great finds Neil! What a difference a day can make, huh?
What is it they sing about in them Country Western songs? "Sometimes you're the windshield &.....

Cool bullet too!

What a great group of coins!

That is a real nice clean 1909 Indian. A tougher coin to find. Congratulations. That would of really made my day

Wow! You found Bobby's nameplate!

I remember him telling me he lost it on his way to the north pole. I'll have the Admiral contact you on how to return it as soon as I can!

What a haul! Field of Wheats!

"If you drop it, Neil will come..."

Good day in the field.
One of these days that S mintmark will show up...then you will have to find another with the VSB :laughing7: :laughing7:

Makton

Yep, a fun hunt indeed :thumbsup:

I also ran into a herd of those slithering beasts out sunning themselves in the grass on the way back to the car.

congrats on the silver and all those wheaties!

Nice day 4 sure and a fine hunt Neil...that is one pile of wheats you have dug,a nice IH and the bullet still in the wood that is to cool.
I am glad to see you finding silver again :thumbsup: that is one dark merc...

Garden snake :o

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back