thread advice for new member

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
lots of pans and ways to pan cons , but im my opinion , its the person using the pan that makes the difference! pick a pan and learn how it works for you and stick with it! don't fall pray to buying a bunch of pans and trying to learn each pans way/style of using it!

OP
OP
G

glot

Greenie
Sep 8, 2014
Rockhampton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just figured the topic would have been covered a million times over in here comparing the pro's and Con's of different pans.
Agree. You Tube is great. I am from Queensland, Australia. We are restricted to hand tools in this state for fossicking. A LOT of gold came out of this area around here. Have been doing a small amount of panning but wanted to go to a new pan. They are all fairly expensive here so was just doing a bit of research first. Turbo, square, Super sluice etc.

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just figured the topic would have been covered a million times over in here comparing the pro's and Con's of different pans.
Agree. You Tube is great. I am from Queensland, Australia. We are restricted to hand tools in this state for fossicking. A LOT of gold came out of this area around here. Have been doing a small amount of panning but wanted to go to a new pan. They are all fairly expensive here so was just doing a bit of research first. Turbo, square, Super sluice etc.

I did a google search and I think you can buy a permit do use more tools in prospecting
I would go to the local officials whoever they are in Australia to figure that out

happy panning

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's all in the person panning. Don't laugh, but I started out with a pie tin. Works great. Not a lot of volume, and bends easy. Hard to see gold in. But, it really does work great.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I instruct gold panning classes. I have many different round pans that people can try but the favorite is the Garret Gold Grabber or the Garret Gravity Trap. These pans have a lifetime warranty and to my knowledge no other pan offers that. It is easy to learn and forgiving of poor panning habits.
There are more pans on the market than you can count but they all work on the same principal - water based gravity separation. You can learn how to pan gold in a frying pan if you try hard enough but a better pan just makes learning this process easier. Get a big pan, at least 14" or larger, the small pans just are too slow.
It's going to come down to what works best for you...but I would tend to stay away from the wild ideas.

Now, outside of the panning instruction, my personal favorite pan is the Le Trap square pan. I have at least a dozen and when I am mining I use nothing else. It is more expensive and has no warranty but it's made of fiberglass not plastic so you can repair it. It is by far the fastest pan you will use and a big plus if the ability to shave a little off each side of the pan with a table saw and it will slide into a bucket...easy transport

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread