Three hours of fun in the woods today

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
My first dig was a 1874 Indian head, then 20 feet away the 1918 Merc. Later I got a strong signal, moved the leaves away with my shoe and I see a penny laying on top of the ground, picked it up, a 1898 Indian head. Then later the 1900 Indian head about 3" deep. The last coin was the 1909 quarter 3" deep. Plenty of old shotgun shells too, half were laying on top of the ground. Funny how stuff in the woods doesn't sink much even tho the soil there is very soft. Will go back again.

Attachments

• IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 850
Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome hunt!!!!!! MR TUFF

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close to the same finds I dug Sat , Jersey must have alot of lost Indians and Barbers . :thumbsup: Nice coin day 8)

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Excellent woods finds, congrats! Got to love them surface finds! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good day in anyones book. That Barber looks great. :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I sure do love hunting in the woods - congrats on your great finds!!! :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
T

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
I was never a woods hunter until just recently. I've read about old coins being found in woods and gave it a try. Yea, its true. Lots of shotgun shells there, so I think it was hunters who lost the coins I found. The only garbage I detected was shotgun shells and nails, didn't dig them. Dug a few pieces of melted metal and short wire pieces. No pulltabs detected. Coins were far apart, did a lot of walking, but was fun. I noticed when I got farther from the road, like past 600 - 800 feet, there was almost no signals of any kind.

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, love the pic :thumbsup:
HH..Miner

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Tykit said:
I was never a woods hunter until just recently. I've read about old coins being found in woods and gave it a try. Yea, its true. Lots of shotgun shells there, so I think it was hunters who lost the coins I found. The only garbage I detected was shotgun shells and nails, didn't dig them. Dug a few pieces of melted metal and short wire pieces. No pulltabs detected. Coins were far apart, did a lot of walking, but was fun. I noticed when I got farther from the road, like past 600 - 800 feet, there was almost no signals of any kind.

Most people here will tell you to dig all signals. The real successful people here do just that which is why they have such excellent finds. Recently I dug a nice powder flask. It was brass and came up just like a shotgun shell headstamp. You never know what you're going to find when you dig. I have dug coins which toned like something else until the surface was broken. Dig, dig, dig! The fun is finding the cool stuff, despite the buckets of pulltabs, shredded aluminum and shotgun shells you get as well! Good luck and dig like a gopher and fill 'em back like you were never there!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, and here I thought all the good stuff in NJ was already found :tongue3:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely hunters.

Remember that they have to go once in a while ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread