three what is its.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found all three a few years ago. #1 I thought this might of been a stirrup but seems to heavy and way to small, maybe for a child?? 001.JPG #2 appears to be brass or copper. I have no ideas on this one. 002.JPG I should of taken the tape measure out of the picture. Not accurate 003.JPG 004.JPG and #3 about as thick as a coin looks like copper or brass also. Something from the inside of a old lock? 005.JPG 007.JPG

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Helix,

#2 looks lake a firearm cleaning tip.

opplanet-outers-jagged-cleaning-tips-nylon.jpg

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beleive three may a rear site aperture (For a long gun)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. I goggled "brass gun cleaning tip" and I agree #2 is a some type of cleaning tip. I also looked up rear gun sights on #3 and I also agree its some type of rear sight. I couldn't find anything exactly like either but at least that points me in the right direction on full id. Thanks again surf and kuger.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It's called a "cleaning jag," and they are used, and still manufactured today. They come in sizes, to fit the bore size of the gun, because it's a pain to loose a cloth patch in the bottom of the barrel They are use for cleaning muzzle loading rifles and muskets. I have several. modern ones come threaded to screw onto the ramrod tip and/or cleaning rod tip. I'd post a photo but it's not letting me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called a "cleaning jag," and they are used, and still manufactured today. They come in sizes, to fit the bore size of the gun, because it's a pain to loose a cloth patch in the bottom of the barrel They are use for cleaning muzzle loading rifles and muskets. I have several. modern ones come threaded to screw onto the ramrod tip and/or cleaning rod tip. I'd post a photo but it's not letting me.

In your opinion would the one I have here be modern? Found what looks like a small 2 stamped on it. 001.JPG

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First item looks like a step up, for a buggy/coach...perhaps.

SS

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't believe that thing is a rear site...
I seem to recall a cutting device that had removable blades that looked like that thing...
cant find it on line...not enough coffee to function properly this morning..

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
#3 is stamped
-- edited: 8 triangle 88. Not 8488 as previously noted. tnet.JPG

Attachments

• tnet.JPG
    tnet.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe that thing is a rear site...
I seem to recall a cutting device that had removable blades that looked like that thing...
cant find it on line...not enough coffee to function properly this morning..

You likely are correct Pip,I cant place an exact either,but know I have seen one....what ever it is

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I stopped by a local gun shop here in Kentucky. I had a few finds I wanted looked at. Had a gun smith take a look at #3 and first thing he said was "that's a sight". The area I found all three was a very popular hunting grounds long ago. Your 100% correct nhbenz some how I missed it but it is 88 triangle 8. I didn't realize that till I was at the shop. Im going with rear sight. Gun smith thought it looked older very possible off a long gun. Only wish I new what exact rifle its from. If its is a cutting device please prove me wrong! Iding items is half the battle other then finding them. Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread