Thrift Store Kickback?

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
At the Thrift Store? NO! Maybe a donation to the charity, but that is not what I do. I donate items to the store...that is my "kickback".

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Hi Mr./Mrs. Goodwill Manager, I would like you to know that I just found a $12,000 painting at one of your locations, and I would like to send you 20% of the value of this painting. To whom shall I make the check out to?"

Hehe--if you want to make your goodwill happy, send them a Christmas card, pick up things on the floor in the aisles and bring the carts up to the entrance when you walk in. :) That should keep your karma in the zone.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodwill is the biggest scam in the states, why would you give anything "back"? Their entire business model is that people give them things and they sell them for a profit.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have applied this to fundraisers in the past. One church was having a sale to raise money for their kids to have a concert and get new music. I spent $20 on about 40 grams of 14k. And put $50 into the fundraising jar.

Another one was for disabled children. Bought some gold jewelry for cheap and put some extra $ into their basket as well.

I don't think I would do it for a thrift store though. Most everything is over priced to begin with.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a thrift store last week and asked the lady if they had any new watches lately (they have a basket with about 50 watches that I had went through previously--all $1). She said "not to many." Then she proceeded to tell me that some guy was in a few days before and bought a swatch watch and right after he paid for it he told her it was worth a lot of money. I thought to myself "dumba@@". Another story... An acquaintance that volunteers at a church TS was telling me that a lady bought a purse for a couple dollars and sold it online for over a thousand. She then went back to the TS and bragged about it and didn't give any kickback. Why do people do that? If you're going to tell them how much you made or are going to make off of them perhaps you should give some back??

I think the kickbacks depend on the situation. Like BK's mentioned sales I would've done the same. Goodwills, Savers etc. no! Just don't go back and brag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread