Thrift store picks =)

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, here are some pictures of a few picks this week, that i'm about to start working on figuring out who the makers marks are. Not all my items are listed, not shown is also a ECCLISSI Sterling silver watch with 925 marked wrist band, Cartier ladies watch that is silver with 20m gold plating, and 2 more ECCLISSI sterling silver cased watches with leather bands, paid 3 dollars each for them. Also a pin that has a humming bird feeding out of a flower, that looks silver but isn't marked, only marks on it look to be hand done and say CANADA and I think the initials LCD or LED on the back.

1. Silver and pearl necklace, unsure of the makers mark.

2. Sterling Bracelet.

3. Sterling Bracelet, unknown and hard to see makers mark, so did a paint sketch of what it looks like to me.

4. St. Christopher Pendant, makers mark is M. DE JEAN.

Going to go research these marks now, if anybody knows right off please feel free to speak up and as always happy hunting =)

Number 2 and 4 are mysteries solved. Bayanihan seems it is a philippenes based company and their stuff seems to sell much better on ebay than what i paid for it for Sterling cuff. Number 4 seems to be nothing special for makers mark and sells for roughly what Beachkid23 told me. The bracelet with all the 4 marks though is the one that intrigues me the most, and seems the ones that intrigue me the most are the ones I usually can't solve, and hoping some of the experienced guys will know.

The silver and pearl necklace is made up of findings or it was sold complete by the Rio Grande company in New Mexico as that is their mark the "sun sign of New Mexico". They are a large jewelry supply company. The company is part of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Co. these days. I made a visit to the store in Albuquerque some time ago and it's all about the things one will need to make their own jewelry.

Thanks Tamrock, that only leaves one more mark for me to figure out, been google'ing, bing'ing, yahoo'ing, and searching different databases, figuring out some marks is a pita.

The silver and pearl necklace is made up of findings or it was sold complete by the Rio Grande company in New Mexico as that is their mark the "sun sign of New Mexico". They are a large jewelry supply company. The company is part of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Co. these days. I made a visit to the store in Albuquerque some time ago and it's all about the things one will need to make their own jewelry.
Rio Grande gets a heck of a return on sterling. That little sterling silver finding would cost new around $4.50 to $5.50 each today and maybe more?, could be why Berkshire Hathaway has their hands in on the company? (you get BIG margins on silver). The scrap value of it is most likely less then 80 cents from what I'm seeing. I do see a fare amount of small pieces of sterling with the RG mark in my area and many look like the same assembled necklace you have.

British import hallmarks I think. Maker is FA, the bullseye is the assay office and the R is a date letter. I have a piece with the bullseye and looked it up at the time I listed it. Try Birmingham assay office website. Very helpful.

British import hallmarks I think. Maker is FA, the bullseye is the assay office and the R is a date letter. I have a piece with the bullseye and looked it up at the time I listed it. Try Birmingham assay office website. Very helpful.

Thanks randazzo1, I am leaning towards something british possible also. I know not much about these though and trying to learn, the 925 is the purity that is np to figure out, the R in an octagon seems to maybe be British mark for the year 1991, The bullseye looking thing and FA have me stumped and was trying to figure out which was assay and which was makers mark. I tried the site you said above and seems i can't search for anything unless the marks contain an anchor symbol, which mine does not ( The search continues =)

Last edited:
So another forum I have joined recently to decipher silver hallmarks has responded with another piece of the puzzle on the 4 tiled hallmark on the bracelet. The first FA is still the unknown factor, the 3rd mark looks as pictured in my rendition except it has a U or ornate V in the middle and is a Assay mark for London, the R was reaffirmed as 1991.

So basically the FA with triangle around it is the mystery so far. I have an email in to the London Assayers office, they show this mark on their website but all it says is Maker/Sponser = FA, Date seen = 1984, Seen on = Letter Opener. Hopefully they can help answer the FA makers mark mystery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back