What's new

Thrown out of a coin shop

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Messages
1,984
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to this combination coin shop/Antique store. This is not the coin shop I visit. I was looking for proof sets and he had quite a few. Anyways, there was a couple selling coins to him and raving about how he is the most honest guy in town. After going through his little bag, he brings out a much bigger bagger full of ASE. The guy behind the counter is known as an asshole and lowballs everything. He told the guy that he used to pay $5.00 dollars for them and now pays $10.00. He must have had 50 ASE. I calmly asked the guy what he had and the owner threatened to kick me out of the shop. ::)

Well I didn't take to kindly to that so I informed the gentlemen that he was not only getting ripped off, he might as well call the police because he was being robbed. I told him he can get anywhere from 28 - 30 dollars a piece at the coin shop just down the street(My Coin Shop). The gentlemen escorted me out the door, As I was leaving I told him what a pompas ass he was and that he should try paying what a coin is worth and stop ripping off people who don't know what they had. He asked me not to come back, said to him in a rather loud voice, "I don't do business with criminals". At that point he shut the door and said good riddance. Went to my coin shop to get some Barber Halfs for my collection and lo and behold, in walks the people from the store down the road. They showed the owner the sales slip they had given him as an estimate and guy about shit. He offered $500.00 dollars for 50 ASE's and 25 cents a piece for silver's dimes. The guy said it was his Christmas money and after he heard what I said he thought he would come over here and see what you had. Guess the guy threatened them as they left. To make a long story short, my friend took care of them and they gave me a $20 as a way of saying thank you. Tried to refuse the money but they insisted.

They were both in their late 60's to early 70's. What a shame that people like that prey on the elderly.

Anyways, story had a happy Christmas ending and I am guess that once word gets passed, the asshole down the street with fold up shop and leave.... :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
GPURS said:
Kinda wonder if any of you big talkers would raise such hell in a Mcdonalds where they charge $1.29 for a Coke that costs them .02???? Until you start paying the rent, stay out of other peoples business,,, and wallets..

That's why I don't get sodas at McDonalds or any restaurants period. Not only on the pricing but they're just not healthy for you. Guess you're in the used car business too. Eh?
 
GPURS said:
Kinda wonder if any of you big talkers would raise such hell in a Mcdonalds where they charge $1.29 for a Coke that costs them .02???? Until you start paying the rent, stay out of other peoples business,,, and wallets..
That's just it.....they wouldn't. They would end up being escorted out by the law.
 
lol i gotta agree reading this post is cool. All have interesting points which is why the free market works wonders. Where as all have a valid "view" eventually competing business's will have the one which has better "policies" win out. Though i realize that does mean the one with less desirable practices can win out with say a better marketing strategy.
But to the average way it works i now know which dealers in my area [and shows] have the best prices so those are the ones i do business with and tell people fresh into coins where to go or not to go.
 
Keep up the good work!! Predatory buyers deserve to be called out. There's nothing wrong with making a profit, but offers like that are another thing entirely.

Happy Holidays,
Kantuck
 
fistfulladirt said:
I just don't get it. People have no problem shopping at WaLMAR and paying ripoff prices for cheap goods. Yet you would enter another's business and dictate what prices the owner should be paying?

FFD,

You are not going to win here with your arguments. I think you are correct though.

PS I do like Walmart, but we have had this discussion before. ;D

Jim
 
Interesting topic. I salute you for speaking up when being treating rudely.
Another twist is that the customer bears some of the responsibility in these cases.
As a customer never trust someone you've never done business with before. Take the time to get 2 or 3 estimates before making a deal. Same thing if you are having work done by a contractor. WE MUST do our homework if we expect to get the best deals.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom