Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I hope someone can help me out.

I am wanting to buy a Tibetan Buddhist prayer box as a very special gift.

I have been doing some research over the past week and now I'm really confused :icon_scratch:

Some are really cheap (under $50) and some are up to $1000.
I realise it would come down to reproductions and the real thing, as well as age. But I can't tell the difference.

Can anyone tell me what to look for?

I am looking at this one at the moment.
el1600.jpg

It comes from a reputable dealer.

Thanks kindly in advance for any assistance.

and here is an example of a really cheap one, it looks almost identical.
s-l1600.jpg

I would think not only age but composition would matter. Made out of silver would make it more valuable. Other than that I have not any knowledge on it.

It is going to be hard to tell the genuine prayer boxes from the reproductions as most listed do not state either. The best advice I can offer, go with a Seller with really good Feedback and look for the older pieces. I thought the one at the link below, is unique but I can't guarantee that it is genuine and from the 1950's as the Seller states but it is nice.

Vintage HM Silver 925 Red Coral Crystal Gau Tibetan Nepal OM Prayer Locket C1950 | eBay

Frank

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a reproduction of a prayer box as no such thing as a reproduction
of a Bible. They both are always needed. But I know what you mean. I know there are a lot of atheist printing Bibles.
If you mean the prayer box needs to be made by a Tibetan Buddhist you might have a problem.
They are busy doing other things.
You might need to book a flight to Katmandu. Last I checked the $$ was $10800 first class about
15 years ago.I'm not being a smart a$$ but the way stuff is counterfeited today that might be
the only to find an authentic .
What I did was find some things that gave me an OK feeling and lived with that. Like a prayer wheel
that I have. No idea where it was made or by who.
It's probably the thought your friend needs more than how authentic it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back