What is this and what is it worth?

Dragoonser

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on the ground near my house, any clue to the answer of the above questions? 20160813_152336.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
possibly a bale seal?
lead?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
courtesy of google

I didn't know what it was when I found it. I knew it was made of lead and about an inch in diameter, but that was pretty much it. At a total loss as to identification, I posted it up for my good friends at Metal Detecting Maine, who seem to be able to identify anything. Sure enough, replies started coming in immediately explaining to me that what I had found was a lead bale seal. Oh, of course, thought. But what the hell is a lead bale seal? I consulted Google and was astounded at the fascinating websites about the history, curating, and collecting of lead bale seals. The wonderful Colchester Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting website at baleclothseals states that, "Bale seals such were single disc seals... and were used to identify textiles, as well as parcels and bales of trade goods. The obverse would typically display a city's arms, and the reverse would record data such as the length or width of fabric or the weight of parcel." The site has a wonderful catalog of seals dating back to medieval times, and the similarities between those and the object found by me in a park in Union, Maine were really quite surprising. Now, obviously, the seal found by me is of a much later date, probably the mid-1800's, and not nearly as rare or valuable as a 7th Century Roman bale seal, but still exciting, nonetheless.
Krom from Metal Detecting Maine told me, "Definitely a grain bag seal," and Kelly, from the same site suggested origins in the Maine Central Railroad, hence the M.C. The number on the rear is either an 85 or a 95.

OP
OP
D

Dragoonser

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not see any pictures that had what appeared to be a 2d globe on it. I am also pretty sure that it is rock, not lead.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like what's left of a cheaply made trinket or charm shaped like a globe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread