What's new

Tick Removal

Bum Luck said:
OldeBeechnut said:
... best defence is to combine Permethrin treatment on your clothes and gear with Deet on your exposed skin it is close to 100% effective against ticks and mosquito's. The best Permanone. Made by Coulston, their Duranon Permanone is 100% death to ticks and any other biting insect that comes into contact with it.

Permethrin is what I use, and it is great. No smell, doesn't melt plastic like DEET (how good can that be for you?), lasts for days, and kills the little buggers in about 14 inches.

I can't believe the tick remover does deer ticks, the primary threat of lyme disease since they're so small.

I use a surgical tweezers, available at a medical supply store.

It's tapered to an extremely fine point. It most certainly can get the tiniest of 'em...
 
DON'T EVER put anything on a tick to remove it. Any kind of spirits, oil or flame could make it vomit pathogens into you or your pets blood stream. A tick has to be removed via a tick pick or similar removal item, I have a Polish friend that put olive oil on a tick on their leg and 2 years down the road they are still sick. Don't take my word for it, go ask your doctor or vet or, if you are brave or foolhardy listen to the other advice on here. If that tick you have is carrying a virus you are playing with a LONG term illness at best. I have only had two ticks attach themselves to me, both times I removed them with a "Tick Pick" and took them to the docs to see if I needed shots, and yes I got the shots just to be safe. The ticks were bigger than Felinepeachies, so I don't know what would work for those, but try "Autan Tick Repellant". Anyway go out and hunt, and give us a story, but be safe :icon_thumleft:.

By the way this is a tick pick. http://www.bada-uk.org/defence/removal/removaltool.php


hammered
 
Great product Ham...

Check this out... http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~acarolog/needham/tickgone.htm

Timely removal is critical for avoiding tick-transmitted diseases by reducing the interval for pathogen entrance into the host. Numerous manuals and textbooks continue to recommend methods that extend the time a tick is attached and many are dangerous or simply fail. The most popular methods are passive and include applying ointments, ether, gasoline or petroleum so they will release their hold. Others have endorsed applying fingernail polish, and "using a suture needle (FS-2 cutting) to apply pain to the tick's face for removal." One even says "a punch biopsy will remove the tick with certainty". While this is true, what happens when one walks through vegetation that contains hundreds of "seed" (immature) ticks? Do we punch holes in the host's skin for every one of the attached ticks? Needham tested several of these "folk" methods; fingernail polish, petroleum jelly, a glowing hot match and 70% isopropanol for their ability to induce ticks to "back out" or release from the host. He found that none of these methods initiated self detachment in adult lone star or American dog ticks. Confirmation of the failure of these methods was recently published. More modern "emergency" methods have also been tested. Injection of local anesthetics (lidocaine, lidocaine with epinephrine, and chloroprocaine) also failed to initiate self-detachment. While there are chemicals that will initiate self-detachment, health risks are associated with the use of these chemicals and should not be used.
 
Felinepeachy said:
Yeah, how the heck can that thing get these?

Peach those are seed ticks. They will actually glide down from trees and branches they say. I sat under a pine once relaxing and was covered with hundreds in no time. No lie. I freaked out stripped naked stood on my clothes spayed deep woods on and scraped myself clean with a pocket knife and then sprayed my clothes. LOL. Oh yeah I am sure there was a better idea out there but it was not with me. I will say my friends were laughing their butts off at me.
Now when in the woods I wear a hat made of tin foil with a copper wire attached it works very well and people quit laughing :laughing9:
 
Here's another yet unintended tick remover Endurance Mini Tongs. When I first saw them in kitchen supply I recognized their potential. I was not and have not been disappointed in their ease of use to remove ticks.
images


Ticks should not be pulled out. Doing so generally leaves the mouth parts still embedded in the skin. This happens because ticks have barbs curved upwards
tickmouth.jpg
. To avoid leaving the mouth part behind grab the tick and rotate it least 360 degrees around.
 
TnMountains said:
Felinepeachy said:
Yeah, how the heck can that thing get these?

Peach those are seed ticks. They will actually glide down from trees and branches they say. I sat under a pine once relaxing and was covered with hundreds in no time. No lie. I freaked out stripped naked stood on my clothes spayed deep woods on and scraped myself clean with a pocket knife and then sprayed my clothes. LOL. Oh yeah I am sure there was a better idea out there but it was not with me. I will say my friends were laughing their butts off at me.
Now when in the woods I wear a hat made of tin foil with a copper wire attached it works very well and people quit laughing :laughing9:

I'll have to remember that excuse when folks ask why I'm wearing a tin foil hat. :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
TheHarleyMan2 said:
One sure cure of removing ticks is use about 2-3 drops of dishwashing detergent, (like dawn, joy, etc), on the tick, use a cotton ball and gently swab the detergent around, (until it lathers), on the tick and the tick will let go and will be removed with the cotton ball.

Proven harmless method!!!


I second that - dawn on a cotton ball- smother the little bugger- and he'll back out on the cotton ball once he can't breathe through that soap....works well. Vaseline and cotton ball does the same trick. (and vaseline makes a fantas'tick' fire starter, even better with a tick in it!!!! :hello2:

just a suggestion - invest in leg gaiters - I picked mine up at walmart for winter time- they are just nylon with velcro to cover your boot tops and about 8 inches up your leg. they work good on keeping the pests off your open pant legs (and keeping them from crawling up your legs.) I've had the pests on me from walking the dogs and bringing them back in as the dogs liked to pounce on the bed while I was in it- ticks love a free ride on your pets too...

no doubt about it- I hate them... :o
 
We use these things . Our vet gives them away for free . They work pretty good .

We also have some doxycycline in the medicine cabinet . If you were bit by a tick , just one dose of 200mg will keep you from getting Lyme disease , if taken within 72 hours .
 

Attachments

  • tic 002.webp
    tic 002.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 431
Im a big fan of the promethrin clothing treatment. It lasts up to 6 times of your clothes being washed or 3 monthes, which ever comes first. Ticks gross me out.
 
I always pulled them out, and I never had a problem with a head tearing off and causing infection.

For removing swollen ticks from my dog, I used a pair of pliers to encircle the body and pull the whole thing out.

On myself, when in tick country, I continually check myself and hair, and do a full inspection upon returning home. The few times I've found them, I was able to pull them by hand, and it took a few layers of skin with it.

Deep Woods Off has always worked for me though, in avoiding the situation in the first place.
 
Andy,
Interesting topic you started here. Lot's of great info and tools. I guess I should stop using my teeth to pull them off.
Great post. :thumbsup:
-Doug-
 
A couple other things.

When I come in from the field, I strip and shower right away. That finds most of them. It helps to have a partner inspect you - seriously, since they don't want the ticks in bed.

My clothes go in a closed garbage bag, and since they're sprayed with Permanone, it kills all the remaining ticks in probably a few hours.

Stay tick-free!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom