What's new

Tick Removal

DD-777

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
2,522
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Location
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
With the weather getting warmer here everyday, the ticks have come out in force. Unfortunately, DEET just does not do the trick anymore. Was in BassPro today to pick up some repellent from Sawyers. Supposed to be the best stuff around - great reviews and many recommendations. Also found this great little tick remover called the "Tick Key". Check out the links and if anyone has ever used this stuff, let me know what you think.

http://www.tickkey.com/index.html

http://www.basspro.com/Sawyer-Permethrin-Insect-Repellent-for-Clothing/product/10223263/-1487778

http://www.basspro.com/Sawyer-Premium-Insect-Repellent-20&37;-Picaridin/product/10216752/-1487697
 

Attachments

  • tick key.webp
    tick key.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,002
Woodland Detectors said:
That's pretty sweet Andy. I have never seen one of those tools.

Me neither Mike. I figured it'll be good to have out in the woods and fields attached to my med-kit. Hope I never have to use it though...lol

After what I have read about pinching or tweezing a tick off, I'll never take my chances again.
 
How are you suppose to use it. Put it between your skin and their body and pull them off. I just use Vaseline and put it on their body so they can not breath and they will pull their heads out.....
 
mlayers said:
How are you suppose to use it. Put it between your skin and their body and pull them off. I just use Vaseline and put it on their body so they can not breath and they will pull their heads out.....

Check this out. It's pretty nasty when you think about it...

How Not To Remove Ticks
Don't Remove Ticks With Your Fingers.
In many cases a tick is likely to be carrying pathogens such as lyme disease,ehrlichiosis
and others that are harmful to humans and pets. Tick saliva or blood is something you
don't want on your skin. Pulling on a tick, even with tweezers, can tear the mouth parts
from the body of the tick and leave embedded parts in the host.
WHY TICK KEY?
Don't Squeeze, Crush or Squash A Tick.
This can force spirochete and other infective body fluids through the mouth parts of the
tick into the host.
Don't Apply Substances To A Tick.
Applying any substances, such as petroleum jelly, fingernail polish remover, repellents, or
a lighted match that upset or harm the tick almost always cause the tick to vomit the
contents of its stomach back into the host.
No matter how badly a tick may want to remove itself, it is not capable of doing so quickly.
Ticks can live without air for long periods; attempts to smother it can allow disease
transmission for hours.
 
One sure cure of removing ticks is use about 2-3 drops of dishwashing detergent, (like dawn, joy, etc), on the tick, use a cotton ball and gently swab the detergent around, (until it lathers), on the tick and the tick will let go and will be removed with the cotton ball.

Proven harmless method!!!
 
That's a neat little tool to have, best defence is to combine Permethrin treatment on your clothes and gear with Deet on your exposed skin it is close to 100% effective against ticks and mosquito's. The best Permanone. Made by Coulston, their Duranon Permanone is 100% death to ticks and any other biting insect that comes into contact with it. Use ONLY on the outside of your shirt, pants and boots. NEVER inside or on skin. Let it dry (10 mins outside) before dressing. Something else for prevention (repel) would be to take vitamin B-1 during tick season. It won't kill them but it lessens the bites. Also make sure your pants are tucked into your boots and your shirt is tuck in as well. The tick would have to make it to your head to find a meal and it only takes the tick to crawl 10 inches on your treated clothes to kill it. This is the Department of Defense approved Military treatment for soldiers. You don't want Lyme disease or any other nasty parasites these ticks carry!
 
Hmm? How thick is that thing? Can it be used as a bottle opener in a pinch? You know, for soda n stuff. :laughing7:

:occasion14:
 
I would just like to add that Permethrin is a synthetic Pyrethrin. Permethrin is highly toxic to cats, so much so that cats can receive lethal doses just by being exposed to clothing with Permethrin on it. USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION around cats.
 
Felinepeachy said:
I would just like to add that Permethrin is a synthetic Pyrethrin. Permethrin is highly toxic to cats, so much so that cats can receive lethal doses just by being exposed to clothing with Permethrin on it. USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION around cats.

Thanks for the info Peachy. I already have a designated pair of "detecting pants" that will be kept away from my normal laundry area. Plus, I don't want you kickin' my a$$... :tongue3:
 
DD-777 said:
Felinepeachy said:
I would just like to add that Permethrin is a synthetic Pyrethrin. Permethrin is highly toxic to cats, so much so that cats can receive lethal doses just by being exposed to clothing with Permethrin on it. USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION around cats.

Thanks for the info Peachy. I already have a designated pair of "detecting pants" that will be kept away from my normal laundry area. Plus, I don't want you kickin' my a$$... :tongue3:


hahahahha
box2.gif
 
mlayers said:
How are you suppose to use it. Put it between your skin and their body and pull them off. I just use Vaseline and put it on their body so they can not breath and they will pull their heads out.....

Best way I know of.
I used that tick key on my dog...pretty slick!

That stuff DD-777 posted sounds like advertising hype to scare you. Whatever you get from a tick, you'll probably already have once it starts feeding on you anyhow.

Al
 
OldeBeechnut said:
... best defence is to combine Permethrin treatment on your clothes and gear with Deet on your exposed skin it is close to 100% effective against ticks and mosquito's. The best Permanone. Made by Coulston, their Duranon Permanone is 100% death to ticks and any other biting insect that comes into contact with it.

Permethrin is what I use, and it is great. No smell, doesn't melt plastic like DEET (how good can that be for you?), lasts for days, and kills the little buggers in about 14 inches.

I can't believe the tick remover does deer ticks, the primary threat of lyme disease since they're so small.

I use a surgical tweezers, available at a medical supply store.
 
I actually use my curved jewelers tweezers similar to those in the photo. The fine point and curved head allows for easy access to the point of entry of the tick, even on a deer tick with the aid of a loupe. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • tweezer.webp
    tweezer.webp
    1 KB · Views: 672
Felinepeachy said:
A LOOP!!!!? If I had to look at one magnified, I would faint.
aaa.gif


:laughing7: :laughing7:
 
Peachy, I can just look at that pic an feel them crawling.

Scotch tape if they still crawling works good.

100% Deet before hand usually works for me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom