Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all I wish to thank OWK for his invaluable assistance in dating of this beautifully engraved spoon and also the interpretation of the engraved initials. I found this amazing relic a few years back only about an inch or two deep and have always cherished it as a beautiful piece of local history. With OWKs expertise in silver spoons I am now quite certain that which family the spoon belonged to and that it was in all likelihood part of a set given to them on their wedding day. Following is the write up I did on it--please pardon the censorship, but I am trying to protect the current homeowners from detecting requests and local poaching of sites has been a big problem for me lately.

-----

This beautifully engraved coin silver (.900) spoon was found on a property near the house at (censored) in (censored) New Jersey. Abraham was married to Mary. The spoon may have been part of a set given to Mr. and Mrs. (censored) as a wedding gift since commonly the groom’s first initial, the bride’s first initial, and then the first initial of the married last name were engraved onto such silverware. Thus the “AMA” in all likelihood represents “Abraham and Mary (censored)."

The spoon has been dated to circa 1785 — 1800 by the shape of its handle and style of its engraving by an expert in the field. With the additional context of Mary’s birthdate this timeframe can be reasonably be narrowed to 1795 — 1800. The style of the decorative wriggle engraving is called “bright-cut.”

-----

I gave a copy of the write-up to the current owners of the house today and had a very nice talk with them. It's amazing to be able to tie a particular relic not only a family, but to couple that was married over 200 years ago!

Attachments

• Engraved Silver Spoon034.jpg
    Engraved Silver Spoon034.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Upvote 18

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ERIK MAYBE THIS IS A PAUL REVERE SPOON THAT WAS THEN MONOGRAMED LATER ON JUST GUESSING .......

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all of the likes and kind words on this Colonial-era spoon and the unraveling of its history. :thumbsup:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent work, with the help of OWK. Knowing the history behind a find like that makes it many times more special. Thanks for sharing this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions