What's new

Time for MA and ME CRhers to work dimes!

jrf30

Bronze Member
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
1,896
Reaction score
385
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Time for MA and ME CRh'ers to work dimes!

"Also missing are large sets of Kennedy half-dollars, old quarters, perhaps 10,000 silver dimes, a pear-shaped half-carat diamond solitaire, and proof sets of mint condition coins sealed in plastic."

10,000 silver dimes.

hmmmmm. I wonder if they went into a coinstar?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Time for MA and ME CRh'ers to work dimes!

I just now read that, the article even says that they suspect the coins may have been dumped in an automatic coin machine... time for a road trip! :laughing9:
 
Re: Time for MA and ME CRh'ers to work dimes!

Syrys said:
I just now read that, the article even says that they suspect the coins may have been dumped in an automatic coin machine... time for a road trip! :laughing9:

Where did you read it? I'm in Maine :hello2:
 
Re: Time for MA and ME CRh'ers to work dimes!

Is there a link to an article that goes with this post?
:dontknow:
 
Re: Time for MA and ME CRh'ers to work dimes!

Thanks for the link. I've often thought that is how some silver coins come back into circulation.
 
Re: Time for MA and ME CRh'ers to work dimes!

I feel sorry for the guy that got ripped off. I had someone break into my house when I lived in Ca. and they took all my silver collection well over 5000 coins, man I was peed at everyone for weeks including my neighbors for not seeing anyone. I laugh about it now but boy was I upset and yes it was my own fault, had them stached in a closet in a big canvas shopping bag. Guess what, I have a safe now. :laughing9:
 
Re: Time for MA and ME CRh'ers to work dimes!

Well I bought this bag of dimes off the coin sorter today at the credit union...pictures to come. :tongue3:

Maine_Jim
 
Re: Time for MA and ME CRh'ers to work dimes!

wow!!! i bet thats how most proof coins make it out there, and commems etc...
the other day there was a lady w/ a huge canvas bag dumping what sounded like ikes, halves, and maybe silver at my dump bank.....then the machine stopped (bag full, or ikes stopped it, cuz once the machine wouldnt start for me, and it was becuz an ike was caught on the counting wheel :laughing7: ) ..... anyway, she kept shoving a bunch of coins in really frantically and suspiciously then she looked around to make sure no one saw.....then proceeded to have a teller change the ba or unjam the machine.....i have a huge feeling that she was dumping stolen money..... :dontknow:
weird.....
good luck and hh!
 
Re: Time for MA and ME CRh'ers to work dimes!

Hmm and just when I had given up on dimes...off to wayland I guess.
 
Re: Time for MA and ME CRh'ers to work dimes!

Marchas45 said:
I feel sorry for the guy that got ripped off. I had someone break into my house when I lived in Ca. and they took all my silver collection well over 5000 coins, man I was peed at everyone for weeks including my neighbors for not seeing anyone. I laugh about it now but boy was I upset and yes it was my own fault, had them stached in a closet in a big canvas shopping bag. Guess what, I have a safe now. :laughing9:

Unless your safe is hidden, I would not feel too "safe" about it. I have read that many gun safes and small home safes can be opened with a sledge hammer or torch. If the safe it visible it will be like a magnet to thieves. If it is bolted down and they are typical in and out crackhead thieves they may not be able to get in. But if it is a career burglar (alot of these are drug addicts too but they know what they are doing) they can probably get in if they have enough time.

One of my coin dealer acquaintances has a huge commercial safe that is far better than the kind people have in their house, and he said it is only rated at 30 minutes (TL30 rating), meaning it should withstand torches, drills, pry bars, etc, for 30 minutes. Believe it or not that is considered a top rating as far as safes go.

The best combination (sorry for the pun) is to have a good solid safe (hidden or even un hidden) plus a good home burglar alarm system that you use regularly. So the thieves won't have the time to work on breaking into your safe if they decide to break in.

Jim
 
Re: Time for MA and ME CRh'ers to work dimes!

"One of my coin dealer acquaintances has a huge commercial safe that is far better than the kind people have in their house, and he said it is only rated at 30 minutes (TL30 rating), meaning it should withstand torches, drills, pry bars, etc, for 30 minutes. Believe it or not that is considered a top rating as far as safes go."

My safe has a variable rating. It is a TL45/RG357 rating. It means it is good for either 45 minutes against the torch, OR until my Ruger (RG) 357 stops the intruder where they are working. 8)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom