Time to get serious!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. I'm gonna try! I love buying as we all do! But it has gotten bad over here. With yard sales from Thursday- Sunday and a huge selection of thrift stores, I have become quite the horder. So it's time to take a break.

So I made a plan.... Not a good one, but a start. Before I sleep I must list 10 things a day. No order but it must get up there. I always wanted an inventory... I hate it now... I want it to all go away!

Now I have 2 calls in this weekend, possibly a 3rd were other yard salers go find stuff then call me to flip it to. About 50% of selling value.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some sell scrap for 50-60% of melt. So there are two of them. I'm in the position to be set up well, but have so much stuff to list, it's Over whelming!! Plus another person bought out an estate and wants me to help her set up for a a living estate sale in 2 weeks. I love them, I get 1st choice!

Aww!!! Ok! Feel better, tomorrow is Monday! Get to start all over! Probably my last post for a week or two. Or maybe a day! There's no promise i can cut back on my buying! Good luck and happy hunting!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have so much crap to get rid of that I don't even care about buying anything else at the moment. Just not in the mood for it. Probably why I haven't scored any real treasures lately.

BTW- I know all about being overwhelmed. I get that way every time I open the door to my spare room and see boxes of stuff from floor to ceiling. It's ridiculous and I can't take it anymore. People are going to be getting some great deals when they come to my next sale. Can you say "liquidation"?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have so much crap to get rid of that I don't even care about buying anything else at the moment. Just not in the mood for it. Probably why I haven't scored any real treasures lately.

BTW- I know all about being overwhelmed. I get that way every time I open the door to my spare room and see boxes of stuff from floor to ceiling. It's ridiculous and I can't take it anymore. People are going to be getting some great deals when they come to my next sale. Can you say "liquidation"?

I understand that one. I inheareted about 1000 hallmark ornaments two yrs ago. All from the 70s -90s. I have not even touch them there's about 15 boxes full in my attic. Those darn things need to go! But yeah it's getting bad I keep adding shelves and boxes and boxes and boxes!

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain. Been picking for 30+ years and have 3 storage lockers full of stuff. But, my son graduated college yesterday and since he is not working we made a deal for him to start listing and selling.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain. Been picking for 30+ years and have 3 storage lockers full of stuff. But, my son graduated college yesterday and since he is not working we made a deal for him to start listing and selling.
That's what I need! I didn't even mention my storage lockers, lol.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I am glad that I'm not the only one.

The mess is driving me insane. Not a little bit insane, but a whole lot of insane.

We flea market and ebay for a living. For the most part, we do an excellent job of clearing through our weekly buys. If I have a place for an item at the flea or antique mall, it gets marked and taken to one of those places. I don't let that stuff, or anything else, sit idle...if it has a place at the FM or AM, or on ebay, it goes.

What is destroying us is the mess of stuff that I simply don't know what to do with it. I bought a stack of art books that I bought last week for 25 cents each. There are copies on ebay for $50, but not a single one of them are selling. I have a small tote of US WWII canteens. Those prices are all over the board. Take them to the AM for $15 each, or list them on ebay with a $9.99 start.

I have another small tote of magazines from WWII. Five years ago, I could have gotten $15 each for them. I took some to the FM for $4 each, and none have sold. I have a small S-K socket set with issues. List on ebay for $19.99, or take to the AM for $15, and pray that it sells?? I bought 3 Lakeside Press books in near mint shape. Those used to fetch $15 each on ebay. These titles are not selling. What to do with them? I have 4 yearbooks from the 1930's, and again, not selling on ebay. Toss them in the recycle bin, or list them anyway??

The list goes on and on.

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I am glad that I'm not the only one.

What is destroying us is the mess of stuff that I simply don't know what to do with it. I bought a stack of art books that I bought last week for 25 cents each. There are copies on ebay for $50, but not a single one of them are selling. I have a small tote of US WWII canteens. Those prices are all over the board. Take them to the AM for $15 each, or list them on ebay with a $9.99 start.

I have another small tote of magazines from WWII. Five years ago, I could have gotten $15 each for them. I took some to the FM for $4 each, and none have sold. I have a small S-K socket set with issues. List on ebay for $19.99, or take to the AM for $15, and pray that it sells?? I bought 3 Lakeside Press books in near mint shape. Those used to fetch $15 each on ebay. These titles are not selling. What to do with them? I have 4 yearbooks from the 1930's, and again, not selling on ebay. Toss them in the recycle bin, or list them anyway??

The list goes on and on.

You may have the same issue as me ... I always try to MAXIMIZE my profit. For instance, I have around 100 Amiga magazines/books ... and I'm torn on trying to sell them individually and making the most cash on them or just selling them as a lot to get rid of them. I will make money on them EITHER way, but the treasure hunter in me wants to see the most money for them which means that I'll likely hold on to them longer.

It's a sickness ... occasionally I'll get better and start just selling things for an amount that gets rid of them ... then I revert back to my old ways,

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm off to a good start so far. I sold for $13 a pair of shoes and a coffee maker for 75! Only 2000 things more list and will be ready go out To garage sales again! I can't wait!

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a garage full of stuff along with a spare bedroom packed...many times the kitchen table is a staging area.

Also a storage trailer at the local flea market.

I'm truly OCD and it kills me.

Two weeks ago I had a fire sale at the flea market and also tossed a lot.

I've been throwing out a bunch of stuff and listing a lot more...house is still full but much is gone.

I also buy less now...I won't spend more than $1 on something I can't clear at least $10 on and it also must be small and easy to ship...like a small padded envelope.

I used to never walk out of a thrift store empty handed...now I do.

Face it...some things just won't sell...gotta take a hit and toss them or you'll run out of room.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And then it happens. I get a phone call on something I've been trying to buy since silver was $45/ oz. with that said, I'm going to look at it tonight and I'm glad silver is at $19. With that its still a $18k plus buy. So I'm not Going to go into any more detail than that because if I do probably fall through and I'll jinx myself. However I will officially be done for a long time if it does go through! This right here's why I got into this hobby and I'll tell you what it's going along day. I can't get over there till 8 o'clock at night when she comes back from Orlando! To give ya an idea though when silver was $45 an ounce we made an offer on her collection of about $46,000!
Thank goodness for credit cards with no balances on them and a high limit....

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
It is SO easy to buy much more stuff than I can sell. I have tried to keep it under control by establishing a minimum profit amount on any item I am considering buying. For many months now, I have used $20 profit as my threshold. The problem, of course, is that I am sometimes wrong and I wind up with some things that have little or no profit potential. Those items tend to sit in my garage for a LONG time and the pile slowly grows. In the last couple of weeks, I have bumped my threshold number to $50 to try to slow the rate of accumulation. I am also thinking about taking a couple of boxes of stuff down to the flea market and see if any of the vendors there will buy a box of stuff from me for cheap just so I can recover a portion of my investment and reduce the amount of stuff in the garage.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Since I'm local here and close by, pm me with your info, when you get ready for your sale. I'm looking for a few things for some projects and more than happy to throw some business your way. Thanks.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
As soon as I get home on Saturday, I start listing everything on Amazon. I immediately file it away. If it does not sell quickly, and it is appropriate for Ebay, I list it in a week or 5. My sales pretty much balance out my purchases with about 300 items available. I sell 5 to 10 things a week, and I buy 5 to 10 things a week.

I am now getting ready to move everything. Whatever I have that is older than a year old is going to good will. I would rather put it outside for the charity truck than put it into my van.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
It is SO easy to buy much more stuff than I can sell. I have tried to keep it under control by establishing a minimum profit amount on any item I am considering buying. For many months now, I have used $20 profit as my threshold. The problem, of course, is that I am sometimes wrong and I wind up with some things that have little or no profit potential. Those items tend to sit in my garage for a LONG time and the pile slowly grows. In the last couple of weeks, I have bumped my threshold number to $50 to try to slow the rate of accumulation. I am also thinking about taking a couple of boxes of stuff down to the flea market and see if any of the vendors there will buy a box of stuff from me for cheap just so I can recover a portion of my investment and reduce the amount of stuff in the garage.

Better to take the tax write off and give it to charity. Faster, easier, and generally more profitable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread