South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this tonight in an old sports field. It is really tiny, a pendant? Anyone ever seen one of these before. It is stamped 925, but flakes of gold plating came off when I started cleaning it. Gold plated silver? Is this normal?

The stone looks like a diamond (would be my first), but would a diamond ever be set in a gold plated silver setting?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479273195.992122.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479273213.075334.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479273227.962127.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479273240.327441.jpg

If anyone has any ID help it would be appreciated. Thx

Upvote 11
More than likely just a junker. Most of the time if it is plated there would be no reason to put a real stone in it.

I found an 18k gold plated silver ring the other day and it had several stones in it, don't about diamonds or not, either way a ring is ALWAYS a good find in my book

ring.gif
What - are you a rookie pa-dirt_nc-sand? You ALWAYS declare it real, congratulate yourself, brag about the find and put it right on the top shelf in your den for display! Now, ONLY when you figure out if it is real or not - no one touches it! :laughing7:

One of my first rings I found I thought was gold. Can't remember right off hand how it was marked other then it was from China. It turned out it was gold plated over silver. I'll dig the ring out later today and see how it was marked.

Just found my old post about this ring June 2014, ring is marked E .925 China.
Silver ring with gold plating.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 101
  • image.png
    image.png
    215.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Rings are always exciting, nice find, any jeweler would ID it for you for nothing.

I'm now guessing this is an infant ring, never heard of new born bling before, maybe size 1/2. Pictures that pop up in Google with infants decked out with oversized diamonds is, well, not quite sure... I'm going to try the fog test I read about as the first step in IDing CZ from diamonds. I guess CZ will stay fogged, like a mirror, and diamonds will not hold the fog.

Definitely fun to pop out any ring or pendant when hunting, always makes the rest of the hunt more satisfying knowing that potentially a keeper is in your pocket. If it is a CZ but still 925 silver in my book it goes on the keeper shelf. Thanks all!

I got a little "gold" floating heart pendant marked .925 also. It was heavy for it's size. I was told that it was gold plate over sterling... and YES, it has a little diamond chip in it!

In all likelihood the stone is glass or Cz. It unlikely to have a stone that large be a diamond when the ring is small and gold over silver.

Nice little silver!! Congrads! Is it a diamond? My guess is you just never know.. they put diamonds in Stainless steel, and Titanium rings so always that chance...

What a beautiful little ring. Congrats! -Lisa & John

It not uncommon these days to have gold plating over silver. It is rare to find a diamond set in a silver ring.
Congrats on the ring.

It is probably a "Baby's ring". They were becoming popular when my 2 kids were born in 1977 and 1986. They each still have theirs, although they are just gold bands without any stones. Maybe they are getting fancier. I was asked to find one for a co-worker a number of years back, and managed to do so. His daughter lost it when she was a very young girl just carrying it around the yard. They obviously only fit their fingers for a short period of life, then have to be stored away.

It could be a pendant from a charm bracelet or a kids toe ring. The stone is most likely not a diamond, but there is always the off chance.

Usually diamonds would not be in a ring of low-grade material but a ring is a ring!

Fog test results. Placed a known diamond, known CZ and the tiny ring over steaming water and the diamond remained mostly clear and the other 2 fogged. It is not a diamond. Thx ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479570815.481995.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479570833.246864.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479570853.199936.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479570864.647721.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back