Dirty Digger Doug

Jul 17, 2020
Grand Rapids Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this little pitcher today. It's heavy for it's size so I'm thinking it's pewter. It is a little flattened. Suspect it's from a doll house dinner set.

IMG_20210603_170946671~2.jpg

Upvote 13

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find!!!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great little keeper, a really nice recovery!
I love recoveries like these over a common find as a coin. I just find that it makes more of an impression on the memory.
I recovered a small jug in England many years ago, it was ID as Roman. Seems that they would fill the little jug with some things and put it in the field as an offering for a good crop yield.
Though yours is more than likely from a child's tea set, it was a pretty fancy one.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great little keeper, a really nice recovery!
I love recoveries like these over a common find as a coin. I just find that it makes more of an impression on the memory.
I recovered a small jug in England many years ago, it was ID as Roman. Seems that they would fill the little jug with some things and put it in the field as an offering for a good crop yield.
Though yours is more than likely from a child's tea set, it was a pretty fancy one.
Not sure that ID makes sense, don't know of any votive offerings other than in bronze & not a jug.:icon_scratch:

Anyways cool little play piece for a kid. They do start having kids toys similar from the late Medieval period & lots like this in the 19th C, but continued into the 20th C.

OP
OP
D

Dirty Digger Doug

Jul 17, 2020
Grand Rapids Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a PM from Mike B identifying it as a cracker Jack toy. After researching his information I found it to be correct. The little pitcher is missing it's base. Anyone know what material these toys were made of? The depth of knowledge in these forums is tremendous. Thanks Mike.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a PM from Mike B identifying it as a cracker Jack toy. After researching his information I found it to be correct. The little pitcher is missing it's base. Anyone know what material these toys were made of? The depth of knowledge in these forums is tremendous. Thanks Mike.
OK I thought it was the little pewter types that I find over here. Makes sense.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure that ID makes sense, don't know of any votive offerings other than in bronze & not a jug.:icon_scratch:

Anyways cool little play piece for a kid. They do start having kids toys similar from the late Medieval period & lots like this in the 19th C, but continued into the 20th C.

It's made in bronze. It is missing the 3 little legs/ft.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's made in bronze. It is missing the 3 little legs/ft.
OK, you mean a mini cauldron. I thought my example was Roman as well, but I've been convinced by experts and a very good book that they are late medieval. 13th-16th C. Found IN CONTEXT during excavations in the Netherlands. Ref:Toys, trifles & trinkets by Hazel Forsyth page 111.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was the late 19th C - early 20th C pewter type jug I was thinking of:
Yours is smaller & cracker-jack toy does make sense. (no idea on the material, but it would have been a cheap one)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 32

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread