Tiny Silver pen knife with hallmarks found today!

jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 804
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 817
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 801
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 887
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 805
Upvote 0
Hey that's sweet mate! :icon_thumright:
The Lion is London, is it not? :icon_scratch:
What is the date for the letter "h"?

sorry its mappin&webb dated 1900 ;D

I've done work in there! I bet that would have been an expensive pen knife :icon_thumleft:

The London date mark for 1900 is "e", the closest I can see in my book " The Assay Offices of Great Britain" is, as Mac said, a lower case "gothic" h which is 1863. Nice find tho' :icon_thumleft:.

hammered

Nice going on the silver knife. Would it had been silver on both sides?

Nice find, I think that is the first silver penknife I have seen found. HH, Mike

Crown lion h is Sheffield mark from 1900 , which matchs up to the maker time frame and local of the maker .

Mappin and Webb is a company originally founded in Sheffield, England. The company is a noted firm of Silversmiths and formerly cutlery manufactures with roots back to 1774 when Joseph Mappin (snr) founded the firm. The company is now a retail jeweller, and Royal Warrant holder.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ngcouncil.gov.uk/publications/hallmarks2.pdf/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
similar h was used for 1882 but in a oval , the london 1823 mark is in shield .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be cool to see if they would fix the knife .

nice find!!!! that is a sweet knife!! MR TUFF

Nightowl 280 said:
Crown lion h is Sheffield mark from 1900 , which matchs up to the maker time frame and local of the maker .

Mappin and Webb is a company originally founded in Sheffield, England. The company is a noted firm of Silversmiths and formerly cutlery manufactures with roots back to 1774 when Joseph Mappin (snr) founded the firm. The company is now a retail jeweller, and Royal Warrant holder.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ngcouncil.gov.uk/publications/hallmarks2.pdf/
similar h was used for 1882 but in a oval , the london 1823 mark is in shield .

Be cool to see if they would fix the knife .
:icon_thumright:

A beautiful piece. You hardly ever see silver knives with the silver stamps so prominently displayed. Awesome Find :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back