Tip for the winter blues---cant detect outside?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 30 yrs ago we were in the middle of a bad, cold, snowy winter here in upstate ny. I needed a metal detecting fix, badly. Read everything I could find-no internet back then. After work one nite a friend called me and asked if I could help him with frozen pipes in his basement, no problem. be right there. Drove over to his old house [1890s] and in the basement we went. After a couple of hours we had the pipes thawed and were drinking a beer when I realized I was standing on a dirt floor in the basement . Well, it didn't take me long to go home and grab my detector and get back there, smiling all the way ! I remember digging lots of copper fittings, nails and 1 indian head penny-- I was in heaven ! Ever since ive hit many of the old dirt floor cellars in the winter when I couldn't get outside, never found anything real special but its a quick fix for the winter time blues . So if you have any friends , relatives etc with a dirt floor cellar, there is your fix for the winter, hay you never know !

Upvote 0

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds like it was a long winter. Have you seen some of the Ace 250's shortened with a hockey puck coil for the dirt crawl space.

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds cool. I'm sure there have been people in the past that buried things in dirt floor basements. You never know what you'll find!

Coinhunter17

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2016
Rushville in
Detector(s) used
Technetics 4000. Garrett ace 250. Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a dirtfloor basement and did the same thing crazy thing is I found some ww2 jacket buttons and a burried Mason jar right side up no money but I'm positive it was used to hide something down there the lid was only an inch down ....crazy ideal but it does help calm that urge to detect

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can always do this

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, how long can you stay in the water like that? Nothing like some ALONE time.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool. but this winter has been exceptionally mild, allowing for some detecting and ANY detecting in Jan-Feb is awesome
How about ghost hunting someof these old houses?

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can use a pinpointer to trace the wiring in the house if you get real bad withdraws.
My White's TRX goes pretty deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread