Tips for a beginner

Welcome to the forum! This place is a wealth of information, so you came to the right place! In my limited experience, a little research goes a long way. You would be surprised what you can find doing a google deep dive on your area. Also word of mouth, do you know any people interested in artifacts? I don’t believe the natives thought much differently than we do today. If you were thrown out into nature and tried to survive what would you need? Obviously a water source, also a place with plentiful game. If I were out there I’d probably camping on the highest ground I could find near my water source so I could survey the land and keep an eye on any animals I’d need to hunt. Big bonus if you live near an area where lithic material can be found. Best thing you can do is just get out and look. You’re going to get skunked more often than not, so be ready to do a whole lot of not finding anything, but when you do it’ll all be worth it. keeping the faith is crucial. Also keep an eye out for flakes. When you see flakes you’re hot!! Hope this helps

tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum:Alabama for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Plowed fields, shoreline of a lake, river banks, high ground near water, creeks, anywhere the ground is disturbed.

Aside from the Chattahoochee to the east and the Tallapoosa in the NW, it looks like Chambers is eat up with creeks. I'd be wading the ones that are showing gravel. Best of luck!

I too like walking gravel bars along creeks and rivers. Also check bank cave offs where sections of creek bank have fallen after big rains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back