What's new

Great Plains lithic source display

11KBP

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
805
Reaction score
1,271
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Great Plains
I have made quite a few displays over the years and made this one about 19 years ago to take to artifact shows. Many of the folks who attend these shows have a great deal of interest in lithic types and this particular display always gets its fair share of attention.
 

Attachments

  • Lithic Sources 1.webp
    Lithic Sources 1.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 227
  • Lithic Sources 1a.webp
    Lithic Sources 1a.webp
    48.2 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
Nice work. I've worked most of that raw material over the years. Alibates and KRF are my favorites. Gary
 
Wow, that’s awesome, great job!!
 
That is really cool!

Helpful too!
 
Nice work. I've worked most of that raw material over the years. Alibates and KRF are my favorites. Gary

Both are superb materials, interestingly we find more KRF artifacts in south central Nebraska than we do Alibates artifacts and the Alibates source is 100 miles closer than the KRF source.
 
Both are superb materials, interestingly we find more KRF artifacts in south central Nebraska than we do Alibates artifacts and the Alibates source is 100 miles closer than the KRF source.

Living just 60 miles or so west of you Dick we have found that to be just the opposite. We find the Alibates material but not KRF. We don't have one piece of Knife River in our collection. Definitely a head scratcher!
 
I love this!!! I wish someone would do a New York State or general Northeast U.S. version and post a pic of the results.
 
Huh! So that's where the Flat Top Chalcedony location is. I go to Guernsey Wyo from time to time and that's very close to Hartville. That material is found all over the state of Colorado and Wyoming. There's not a whole lot of info of some of the material sources of some regions found online. Nice resource and display.... Thanks!
 
Living just 60 miles or so west of you Dick we have found that to be just the opposite. We find the Alibates material but not KRF. We don't have one piece of Knife River in our collection. Definitely a head scratcher!


Yes, only 60 -70 miles apart Gary but two entirely different drainages. The significant difference is that the river drainage system you hunt has headwaters that originate to the southwest whereas the drainage system I hunt has headwaters that originate from the northwest. I am aware of several KRF pieces being found in northern Kansas so don’t give up on your region, someday you may find a KRF artifact.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom