Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
Three Little Words That Work !!

(1)The three little words are: 'Hold On, Please...'

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of
hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more
time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.

Then when you eventually hear the phone company's 'beep-beep-beep'
tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has
efficiently completed its task.

These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting.

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other
end?

This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and
records the time of day when a person answers the phone.

This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a 'real'
sales person to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there,
is to immediately20start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7
times, as quickly as possible This confuses the machine that dialed the
call and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame
not to have your name in their system any longer !!!

(3) Junk Mail Help:
When you get 'ads' enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return
these 'ads' with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their
own junk mail away.

When you get those 'pre-approved' letters in the mail for everything
from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw
away the return envelope.

Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs
them more than the regular 41 cents postage 'IF' and when they receive
them back.

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50
cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In
that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it
in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.

One of Andy Rooney's (60 minutes) ideas.
Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Express. Send a
pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day,
then just send them their blank application back!
If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on
anything you send them.

You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just
to keep
them guessing! It still costs them 41 cents.

The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of
their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM them.
Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best
of all they're paying for it...Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are sayi ng that
e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need
to increase postage costs again You get the idea !

If enough people follow these tips, it will work ---- I have been doing
this for years, and I get very little junk mail anymore.

texastee2007 said:
if it is junk for sure...don't open it and just write return to sender.
Using those self-addressed bulk rate mailers is MUCH more effective . Let 'Them' recycle ...

I am a yearly member of the NRA and have been most of my adult life. I pay my dues on time every year, read their magazine, and defend our 2nd amendment rights every chance I get. I write my congressmen on their behalf and encourage newbies to engage in the shooting sports and voice my reasons for doing so every chance I get. But for the last several years the NRA has turned into a junk mail mecca. I get letter after letter after letter from them soliciting donations for this or that and notice after notice to renew my membership when it is not due for 8 months! Are they so stupid to realize that by cutting out all this junk mail they could save thousands if not millions of dollars each year? I have brought this to their attention more than once and got no reply. It's just nuts! And it's not just junk mail, it's junk email too. I have a junkmail email account that I only use to contact places where they insist I give an email address. I get about 2,000 spam mails a month on it! And the no call soliciter list is a hoax as I get hundreds of calls just about dinner time every night. And thank God for caller Id! I use to reject their calls and phone them back at 3:00 am when I worked nights but they get around that now. Dang , this turned into a rant! Monty

Monty said:
I am a yearly member of the NRA and have been most of my adult life. I pay my dues on time every year, read their magazine, and defend our 2nd amendment rights every chance I get. I write my congressmen on their behalf and encourage newbies to engage in the shooting sports and voice my reasons for doing so every chance I get. But for the last several years the NRA has turned into a junk mail mecca. I get letter after letter after letter from them soliciting donations for this or that and notice after notice to renew my membership when it is not due for 8 months! Are they so stupid to realize that by cutting out all this junk mail they could save thousands if not millions of dollars each year? I have brought this to their attention more than once and got no reply. It's just nuts! And it's not just junk mail, it's junk email too. I have a junkmail email account that I only use to contact places where they insist I give an email address. I get about 2,000 spam mails a month on it! And the no call soliciter list is a hoax as I get hundreds of calls just about dinner time every night. And thank God for caller Id! I use to reject their calls and phone them back at 3:00 am when I worked nights but they get around that now. Dang , this turned into a rant! Monty
No Rant ! Valid points that I address myself .

We get a lot of telemarketer calls...I'll answer and they'll ask if Mr. Vibes is home, I say no. They ask, is this Mrs. Vibes, I say no, this is his mistress. They don't know what to do and usually hang-up.

It's about my jollies too ;D

You can get rid of most telemarketer calls just by saying "We rent". They will hang up faster than you, AND your name will be removed from the list when it is sold on to the next boiler room operation....

The second of these three methods do not work...

Monty, I used to work for the NRA... raising funds for them, and other non-for-profit groups, as well as the Republican party.
The NRA is aware that they are sending out renewal notices before your membership is finished. I know they mean well, and I agree and believe in what they stand for (I'm currently a member)... but they kill people with un-needed phone calls, mail-outs, etc. The purpose? To raise funds for their cause. Who knows if it's for court costs in protecting our rights, or if Wayne LaPierre is lining his pockets with it on his organized hunting trips to Africa. I've never wanted to even meet that guy, 'cause he seems like a pompous, rich, snobby jerk. IMHO, of course.

Bran <><

texastee2007 said:
if it is junk for sure...don't open it and just write return to sender.

My favorite with the return postage paid cards & letters was to wrap up a brick in paper grocery bag. Tape the postage paid card or letter on it, and drop it in the mailbox on the corner. After awhile you aren't bothered anymore. Plus, I get a giggle every time I think they payed $2.25 postage for a dirty brick that otherwise would've ended up in the dump ::)

The other is to tear all my address tags off a bunch of junk mail. Send junk mail from one company to another. Might as well put those Return Postage paid cards & envelopes to good use instead of throwing them away :D

Monty said:
....I get about 2,000 spam mails a month...

If you want to virtually eliminate BS emails, use: 10minutemail.com

10minutemail will give you an email address that disappears after 10 minutes!!!

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee- telemarketers can't hit what they can't see (to paraphrase Ali).

telemarketer calls -- keep a blank "starter" pistol about or loud cap gun --- upon answering and figgering out its a telemarketer --if male -----oh this ruse isn't fooling me " john"--- I know your calling to hook up with her --- --fire gun three times bang bang bang ---now you cancome and get er. !!! ---- or if its a female -- your not fooling me "sally"---I know you and her been having this gay love thing --she said shes leaving me --bang bang bang now you can come over and be with her.

loads of fun .

I have Caller ID and am on the do-not-call list.

If the Caller ID displays the caller as "unknown" or something like that,
or if I don't recognize the number, I don't pick up the phone.

:)

Seamuss said:
I just tell them to put me on their do not call list and hang up. After a couple of times of doing this, they stop calling.
Ya , I did that , too . Now I'm so lonely cause nobody erer calls me :tongue3:

My time is valuable as I'm in my seventies. Now this might sound rude to some
as I regard it as an "Americanism" , but whenever anyone announces themselves
on the phone with the words "how are you today" , I say nothing and immediately
hang up.
I regard the phrase as trite.

godisnum1 said:
The second of these three methods do not work...

Monty, I used to work for the NRA... raising funds for them, and other non-for-profit groups, as well as the Republican party.
The NRA is aware that they are sending out renewal notices before your membership is finished. I know they mean well, and I agree and believe in what they stand for (I'm currently a member)... but they kill people with un-needed phone calls, mail-outs, etc. The purpose? To raise funds for their cause. Who knows if it's for court costs in protecting our rights, or if Wayne LaPierre is lining his pockets with it on his organized hunting trips to Africa. I've never wanted to even meet that guy, 'cause he seems like a pompous, rich, snobby jerk. IMHO, of course.

Bran <><
But will you renew Bran ; seems like you have some doubts about its not-for-profit status.

act like a near deaf elderly person --- hello.hello who is this ? can you speak up I can't hear you , do this several times --then hang up

I take the inserts and place them back in the prepaid envelopes not filled out and drop it off in the mail Support your local Post Office.

With AARP, I wrote with a sharpie... NO to OBAMACARE on the renewal fee///// put it in their prepaid envelope and returned it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back