Tips for hunting open lots where old buildings once stood?

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Why would you want to go "all-metal" mode? Wouldn't you at least want to knock out the iron (nails, etc...). The site might be riddled (most likely is) with iron, nails, etc... So you'll at least want to knock that out and just stick with the conductive targets. Later on, if you've done good and gotten old coins and such, if you feel there might be more coins hiding under the nails (masking), THEN you can go back, be a hero, and dig all the nails out. But even then still not necessary (unless you're game for digging 5000 hits up). You can take a machine like the Tesoro silver sabre, or Compass 77b, and they'll fairly reliably see under and around a few nails on top of a coin.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If I were you, I would hunt around where the building was. I agree with Tom on the nails though I think he was conservative in his estimate. lol Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a one time hunt, then you need make the most of it. Why dig nails and stuff like that. Dig the signals that may be the most productive. If it as place where you can go to and not be limited on time then use a grid system and dig it all.

OP
OP
damiani1

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Turned out to be a construction dump site now so I stuck around for about 30 minutes. High expectations for this spot too lol, if only google maps could have told me that :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread