Tired of pop tabs. Looking for Metal detector

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I assumed my property was completely dug out -- nothing left to find but iron junk.
But then I got the Deus, ... I was surprised what I was able to find on the same property I had detected for years,
I hunted my area for decades (relics and coins), first with a Wilson, then 10 years with a Minelab Explorer. I thought the same thing, that it was hunted out.... Then I got a Deus... What an amazing difference! I have found more in the last 2 years than the ten before.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted my area for decades (relics and coins), first with a Wilson, then 10 years with a Minelab Explorer. I thought the same thing, that it was hunted out.... Then I got a Deus... What an amazing difference! I have found more in the last 2 years than the ten before.

What surprised me the most about using the Deus on my well-searched property was how many very tiny bits of non-ferrous material was mixed in with large amounts of iron trash.

Some of these pieces were so small that I almost couldn't find them in the hole, like 1/8" scraps of thin aluminum right next to large rusty iron nails. Not that I wanted to find aluminum, but since it gives the same signal as gold I of course "dug them all". No other detector I've ever used could have found those tiny scraps among so much iron.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt beaches and salt water. what Metal detector is best to separate pop tabs and aluminum from gold. I have and use Minelabs Excal and 800 but am tired of digging trash.
Good luck with that... the day you find one let me know.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With most answers saying" dig everything", why bother to buy an expensive detector?
Because of the other advantages you may get but as far as mid tones where gold and some buttons fall into that “pull tab range” I just dig it. Also if you were on a home permission and you got that Mid-tone signal would you dig it? Of course, but I have to agree with you that’s why I don’t beach hunt Those pulltabs were driving me crazy and my calves were burning lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With most answers saying" dig everything", why bother to buy an expensive detector?
The "dig everything" statement is site specific, and in some cases, target specific. When I say dig everything at the beach, I'm talking about non-ferrous targets, or, targets that may have mixed ferrous and non-ferrous signals. Dead iron signals are still ignored. In a park, school, or private turfed yard, you need to use some discretion. Digging everything just isn't an option if you want to keep your sanity, knees, hands, etc.... and from getting kicked out from cutting plugs everywhere. As mentioned, the higher end machines do a better job if I.D'ing a target to make that decision by having better target separation, depth, and mineralization handling. Now, in a relic venue, or anywhere digging isn't an issue, sure, get a PI machine and go to town. I predict if you do that in a modern urban park, you will go insane within an hour! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread