Titan submersible, Titanic expedition

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would appreciate if you would post details about the 7 different emergency system on the Titan.

A previous passenger: CBS Sunday Morning correspondent David Pogue, reported this in an interview with NPR's Mary Louise Kelly:

ā€œWhat you can do is rise to the surface. And there are seven different ways to return to the surface. Just redundancy after redundancy. They can drop sandbags, they can drop lead pipes, they can inflate a balloon, they can use the thrusters. They can even jettison the legs of the sub to lose weight. And some of these, by the way, work even if the power is out and even if everyone on board is passed out. So there's sort of a dead man's switch such that the hooks holding on to sandbags dissolve after a certain number of hours in the water, release the sandbags and bring you to the surface, even if you're unconsciousā€.

He didnā€™t mention it, but the submersible also of course has buoyancy tanks that are water-filled to assist descent and air-flushed to assist ascent.

I recall another previous passenger on the vessel (canā€™t remember his name) describing the emergency procedure for manually releasing the ā€˜lead pipeā€™ drop weights, which are apparently made from disused construction pipes. He said that, when all else fails the vessel has to be dramatically tilted to one side and then the other by having the occupants move en masse to each side in turn. The pipes at each side then roll off their supporting cradles in turn when the angle is steep enough.

The pipe-laying ship in attendance (since 20th June) is the ā€œDeep Energyā€, operated by TechnipFMC. It has two ROVs and other equipment ā€œsuited to the seabed depths in the areaā€, although when it was first launched it was said that it supports operations at depths up to 3,000 metres. Titanicā€™s wreck lies at 3,800 metres. A spokesperson from TechnipFMC said: ā€œIt is a marine emergency, and we are there at the discretion of the American and Canadian Coast Guard for as long as neededā€ but didnā€™t elaborate on what assistance they were capable of providing at seabed depth for the Titanic wreck site.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I feel bad for those trapped, and even worse for their loved ones, let us not forget they all went into the sub willingly, knowing there was tremendous risk involved. A real shame but a risk they were willing to take. They rolled the dice and it came up craps.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched David's interview and he had lots of concerns. They had several problems just trying to get the thing in the water, let alone trying to get to the wreck site.

OP
OP
E

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A previous passenger: CBS Sunday Morning correspondent David Pogue, reported this in an interview with NPR's Mary Louise Kelly:

ā€œWhat you can do is rise to the surface. And there are seven different ways to return to the surface. Just redundancy after redundancy. They can drop sandbags, they can drop lead pipes, they can inflate a balloon, they can use the thrusters. They can even jettison the legs of the sub to lose weight. And some of these, by the way, work even if the power is out and even if everyone on board is passed out. So there's sort of a dead man's switch such that the hooks holding on to sandbags dissolve after a certain number of hours in the water, release the sandbags and bring you to the surface, even if you're unconsciousā€.

He didnā€™t mention it, but the submersible also of course has buoyancy tanks that are water-filled to assist descent and air-flushed to assist ascent.

I recall another previous passenger on the vessel (canā€™t remember his name) describing the emergency procedure for manually releasing the ā€˜lead pipeā€™ drop weights, which are apparently made from disused construction pipes. He said that, when all else fails the vessel has to be dramatically tilted to one side and then the other by having the occupants move en masse to each side in turn. The pipes at each side then roll off their supporting cradles in turn when the angle is steep enough.

The pipe-laying ship in attendance (since 20th June) is the ā€œDeep Energyā€, operated by TechnipFMC. It has two ROVs and other equipment ā€œsuited to the seabed depths in the areaā€, although when it was first launched it was said that it supports operations at depths up to 3,000 metres. Titanicā€™s wreck lies at 3,800 metres. A spokesperson from TechnipFMC said: ā€œIt is a marine emergency, and we are there at the discretion of the American and Canadian Coast Guard for as long as neededā€ but didnā€™t elaborate on what assistance they were capable of providing at seabed depth for the Titanic wreck site.
Red Coat
Thank you for the DETAIL which was what I was looking for. Almost for sure the ROV's would have scanning sonar on them however the cable maybe a little short. Maybe side scan installed as well.

Reactions: ARC

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They also said it would float to the top,
Even if they can't make it float.

The ocean is a Big place & The Sub is an Ant swimming in it
even if it come up.
not sure how much air may be left since everything I hear is Not Live.

if the Glass broke or it Implodes My guess all bets are off,
they will ever find it

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ā€˜Too terrifying to contemplate:ā€™ Former passenger on missing Titanic sub | Elizabeth Vargas Reports​

if the timer here is Live ? I don't know

The video ain't live

Reactions: ARC

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I do not like the idea that you have to be let out of the sub.
You can't open a hatch to get out someone on the outside has to let you out, that makes it a no go for me.
I think that was probably done to ensure the integrity of the door seal. The lower you go, the higher the pressure, which puts more force around the seal, thereby increasing its efficiency. Logical, but is it possible that it was also inadvisable? My mind intuitively goes to the idea that a user-operated escape mechanism is an absolute necessity for any craft--air, land or sea.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO... and after reading / watching details of the equipment /sub / company overall...

This situation was inevitable.

I for one cannot believe that there were not more regulatory entities involved or in place... and i hate to say it... but you would have got to have been sold hook line and sinker to get in that thing... OR in need of some common sense... for the first thing that is OBVIOUS is its size...

Way to small for more than 3 people in my opinion... Backs ups of any real substance would require the size to be at least double that size for a "group" of more than that for safety alone.
Really... when it comes down to it... simply... Its design and size is a joke for any type of realistic "tour ride" type situation... let alone for above basic comfort and safety... it's size also restricted the ability / implementation of realistic redundant safety and survival situations in the event of current situation(s).

We will be hearing about this for some time to come... mostly in the form of lawsuits.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from what the one guy above said they pretty much had to Sign their Lives away before the trip.
If someone wants to Jump from a Cliff with a pair of Wings No one Batts an Eye.

Nuff said from me :coffee2:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMO... and after reading / watching details of the equipment /sub / company overall...

I for one cannot believe that there were not more regulatory entities involved or in place... and i hate to say it... but you would have got to have been sold hook line and sinker to get in that thing... OR in need of some common sense... for the first thing that is OBVIOUS is its size...

Way to small for more than 3 people in my opinion... Backs ups of any real substance would require the size to be at least double that size for a "group" of more than that for safety alone.
Really... when it comes down to it... simply... Its design and size is a joke for any type of realistic "tour ride" type situation... let alone for above basic comfort and safety... it's size also restricted the ability / implementation of realistic redundant safety and survival situations in the event of current situation(s).

We will be hearing about this for some time to come... mostly in the form of lawsuits.
The families can sue, but in this world-corporation is separate from personal and it limits the risk of litigation.
Sure the culpa has to be proven even in civil court.
If and when even "if" it was even proven, the judgement would be in the $10s or even $100s millions.
Though it's hard to get blood out of a stone.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to agree, but let's hope it doesn't come to that. Any consequential lawsuits would be an interesting situation. It's not completely clear under which country's jurisdiction they would fall, especially since the occupants are of various nationalities and the vessel is operating in international waters.

All passengers are required to sign a disclaimer, which includes a declaration that they are aware the vessel does not have the approval of any recognised regulatory body, but it wouldn't usually be the case that "negligence" can be disclaimed, however carefully the waiver is worded. Not sure about other countries but, under UK/EU law, disclaimers and "small print" are invalid in Contract Law if the terms and conditions are unreasonable to the extent that they are inherently "unfair"... even if they have been agreed to.

It's not looking good, but never lose hope.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say this... and i have refrained from saying this up to this point.
Realistically... and very unfortunately... due to sub design and circumstances there was / is not enough time to perform any type of realistic rescue mission at these depths.
This would have had to be begun almost immediately after loss of contact.
The posture of many of those involved is and has been more of a recovery mission than a rescue mission.
Even if located there is little that can / could be done in time if the #'s are indeed correct.

Sad to say... but this is the reality.

This sub's "safety nets" fell way short of realistic proportions.
Bad design.
Bad implementation.
Bad Decisions.
Bad... period.

I hope and pray that a miracle happens.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
16874348210287285075130191039817001.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Debris field found in Titanic search area, U.S. Coast Guard says​

• Updated: Jun. 22, 2023, 12:02

"A debris field was found in the search area for the missing Titan submersible by a remotely-operated-vehicle near the Titanic, the United States Coast Guard tweeted at 11:48 a.m. on Thursday, June 22."

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it seems the best case scenario at this time is they did get to see the Titanic in its present state. We might never know that, as dead men tell no tales.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the search area is supposedly the size of Connecticut.
so that's a large area. there may be all kinds of Debris from all kinds of sources possible. including Drones.

Word is they are out of air even if the debris wasn't from them,

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the search area is supposedly the size of Connecticut.
so that's a large area. there may be all kinds of Debris from all kinds of sources possible. including Drones.

Word is they are out of air even if the debris wasn't from them,

The debree field is very close to the Titanic, that is a well mapped and very photographed area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread