Titan submersible, Titanic expedition

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
"It would have been Instantaneous, a Quicker execution then a Bullet"
True. I would think that the presence of a debris field tilts the evidence toward catastrophic failure and away from oxygen depletion. Small comfort, but most likely they were gone before anyone knew they were in trouble. I'd also bet that there are at least 4 or 5 completed or near completed scripts floating around Hollywood right now. I'm getting the feeling that people are gearing up to make big money off this disaster, and it spans the range of media from books to news to movies and Internet joints. The connection to the Titanic means we are still at the beginning of the story.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"the curse of the Titanic ? Opens Friday at a Theatre near You !"
I won't dare guess who the cast would be. this isn't politics :(

Yea Personally I think the Pressure Killed them.
I Don't personally think it was Instantaneous.
I think severe Headaches , Ears Ringing/bleeding , Body organ Failure,
then Umph ! (for lack of a better word) the ship imploded Like crushing a 1 Pint Milk box with your hand. Only difference the Sub Shattered.

Lying & Saying they didn't suffer is Necessary on TV.
Sorry ! at my age, I Speak my Mind

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca

"OceanGate On Search For Titan Sub: 5 People On Board Have ‘Sadly Been Lost’"​

I'd have to say that it imploded after communications were lost because if they had time to realize they were in trouble the pilot would have hit all the safety measure to resurface and even after 24 hours it was designed to resurface on its own so I think it was gone the 1st day.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anybody that doesn't want to hear facts which I posted just wants to hear yap. yap.yap. If you do some research and listen to some other experts in the industry they also suggest that the time limit between detection of hull deviation and implosion is less than a second. Do some research into David Lochridge and his interview and then come to your own conclusion about the safety of this submersible. Also accept that no other vessel is available on a time frame to untangle the submersible if caught in something. That is why I asked if anybody knew the name of the pipe laying vessel that is on site so that I could look up the equipment on board and see if any of it was of value in locating(sidescan) the submersible or if it had a ROV or AUV on board which would be able to solve an entanglement. Maybe you don't understand the technology needed to solve this issue. Just the facts.
No sympathy or compassion at all, just and academic mind that sees humans as a mere lab rats.. Hypothetical

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A tragic (preventable??) loss.
May they RIP.
Don.....
And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne. And there were open books, and one of them was the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their deeds, as recorded in the books. The sea gave up its dead, and Death and Hades gave up their dead, and each one was judged according to his deeds.

May they rest in peace,

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Yea Personally I think the Pressure Killed them.
I Don't personally think it was Instantaneous.
I would guess that there are equations that calculate elapsed time between the first hairline crack and the final implosion at various depths and pressures. If they were at planned depth it wouldn't surprise me if that elapsed time was less than 2 seconds.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apparently the navy has known it imploded for days. From the WSJ:

Top Secret U.S. Navy System Heard Titan Implosion Days Ago​

WASHINGTON—“A top secret U.S. Navy acoustic detection system designed to spot enemy submarines first heard the Titan sub implosionhours after the submersible began its mission, officials involved in the search said.

The Navy began listening for the Titan almost as soon as the sub lost communications, according to a U.S. defense official. Shortly after its disappearance, the U.S. system detected what it suspected was the sound of an implosion near the debris site discovered Thursday and reported its findings to the commander on site, U.S. defense officials said.
The U.S. Navy conducted an analysis of acoustic data and detected an anomaly consistent with an implosion or explosion in the general vicinity of where the Titan submersible was operating when communications were lost,” a senior U.S. Navy official told The Wall Street Journal in a statement. “While not definitive, this information was immediately shared with the Incident Commander to assist with the ongoing search and rescue mission.””

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to say that it imploded after communications were lost because if they had time to realize they were in trouble the pilot would have hit all the safety measure to resurface and even after 24 hours it was designed to resurface on its own so I think it was gone the 1st day.
I think you nailed that .... according to the above navy article!!

Reactions: ARC

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would guess that there are equations that calculate elapsed time between the first hairline crack and the final implosion at various depths and pressures. If they were at planned depth it wouldn't surprise me if that elapsed time was less than 2 seconds.
From what I’ve read, it happens in milliseconds.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We're left to speculation without accurate modeling and conditions.
The ends off the middle has me looking towards the retention of the ends originally.
Seems there were a metal ring each end.
Were they involved in where material began to fail first?
Was material stressed there from prior dives and returns and pressure fluctuations?
Doesn't matter now in this case that material stressed to fail near reinforced areas including rings or ridges still fails anyways.

Explorers and those who follow are seldom those designing and building craft. Yes they can offer input. If they stayed in a building and built craft they'd travel less. If they afford both activities of collect sponsors for both. If they were all engineers. Which want mechanics or others to actually build.
I can almost understand how someone could over trust someone else's build(s). My limited part building parts components for autos though inspired less trust myself.
Where that faith is based can always be suspect. But certainly personal too.

Each person could have had faith in something different.
One in a partner , (fellow rider or relative). Another the pilot. Another the craft itself somehow.
And maybe another just in beating the odds of risk as before . Again. A trend and part of what he/they did.

Craft failed . We'll here more. Hind site precautionary I / we told you so kind of stuff I suspect .
A professional saying a bumblebee shouldn't fly or something. Therefore, a laundry basket isn't suitable for deep dives. Though the right one should tolerate the pressure better.

Somewhere more risk is being undertaken for varied reasons. Almost but not quite regardless.. Some for more casual reason ; than others. And the most desperate ones running on hope; (it could work out positively) more than faith ; (Belief in an unseen ability /result) Except those running on faith alone.
And the worst turning into no hope or faith. Given the chance to recognize failure...

And all based on risk.
Low to high.
My voluntary risk taking chicken out point is on that line from low to high somewhere. We all have one. But those points vary with the individual given a choice.
But recognizing risk and amount vs where we should re evaluate our next choice? Can be where we err. Hard to judge where others should cut thier potential losses (if they can) when we struggle with our own.

Climb in a man made container and leave our human sustaining environment. There will certainly be risk.
Nixon had a speech written for him should our astronauts not make it back. knowing there was the risk. A decent speech. But an acknowledgement of failure dressed up to try to comfort the living relatives and fellow citizens reaction to the risk overwhelming the risk takers. Expanded to any empathetic nerve. https://www.space.com/26604-apollo-11-failure-nixon-speech.html

Who has a speech for this subs passengers? Is one needed?
They are not trained astronaut memorial material. They were voluntarily poised to peek through a window in a foreign environment not friendly to humans. And paying one way or another for the privilege. Before paying the highest personal price.

Travelers not knowing thier final trip's beginning ; and beginning of thier final end's was the same thing?
Literally signing prior that they acknowledged the risk of death.
Without seeing a real time meter chart or graph indicating the odds of that risk? (Or a future risk pre dive amount of risk.) Did quality and design and materials factor in the failures timing?
no one would be expected to go if it was known?
Going or not. Individual chicken out point based on what? A real or perceived or prior not a concern of being too serious risk?

Risk took the whole hand. Regardless of the prior dives /attempts proven odds.
It happens.
Look for the inspector sticker and figure out if the inspection was suitable I guess..

Last edited:

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
I saw them demonstrating their guidance controller unit: a Playstation hand controller.

How many here would have stayed on a passenger jet if you saw a flight engineer walk past carrying one and then call out to the Captain,

"I've got the replacement flight control unit here so you can take off shortly. Just make sure you have enough batteries".

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I’ve read, it happens in milliseconds.
Very possible and it depends on exactly how deep they had made it at the time of the implosion (it's reported it was 1 hour 45 minutes into its descent). The problem is, decades of Hollywood programming would have one believing it'd start leaking, popping off valves and the glass would start cracking giving plenty of warning, but at the depths the sub may have already made it to, a ""crack" can instantaneously and simultaneously result in an implosion.

A typical WWII sub implodes at around 350 meters, the Titanic is 3800 meters deep. A modern Los Angeles Class sub is rated at maximum operating depth of 200m, which is essentially skimming around the surface compared to how deep the Titanic is and how deep this submersible likely had already reached. One atmosphere of pressure is added for every 33 feet of additional depth, meaning this submersible likely had hundreds, if not thousands of times the pressure on it then a war sub ever experiences.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely... loss of communications was directly due to implode.
I think the warning... if any... along with implode... was instantaneous.

IMO... There would be no "moments"... or time to "realize".

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In 2021 & 2022 Titan took civilian passengers on at least 2 successful dives to the Titanic so it's not like the victims hopped on a totally untested craft.

RIP

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2021 & 2022 Titan took civilian passengers on at least 2 successful dives to the Titanic so it's not like the victims hopped on a totally untested craft.

RIP
And from what i understand there were issues and problems and repairs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions