To claim or not to claim

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys I recently went nugget shooting with my metal detector in an open area (unclaimed) National Forrest in Southern California. I found 2 nuggets on a small stretch of creek bed exposed bedrock crevices and strongly suspect there are more where they came from. My wife suggested I look into making a claim on the site (there are a few others in the area) but I'm wondering if its even worth it? What are the benefits of staking a claim other than putting up markers which may deter or attract others to the site? I plan on more thoroughly detecting this section of the bed, and move over burden to detect and check the underlying bedrock crevices. Perhaps vacuuming out the cracks in search of small stuff.

Just looking for some input. Do people just not stake claims for small scale stuff?

Anyhow here's the money shot.

2nd nugget.jpg

Upvote 0

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land Matters is an easy place to get quick info and mtrs data you'll need but double check everything with the blm for accuracy. Some claims don't show up on land matters so do your due diligence and double check.
Its awesome to have different tools and land matters is much easier to use than the lr2000 but they don't always match up.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Land Matters is an easy place to get quick info and mtrs data you'll need but double check everything with the blm for accuracy. Some claims don't show up on land matters so do your due diligence and double check.
Its awesome to have different tools and land matters is much easier to use than the lr2000 but they don't always match up.

LR2000 doesn't have the actual legal description of the claim does it?

RobertF

Jan 19, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LR2000 doesn't have the actual legal description of the claim does it?

No site does unless that local county recorder allows online viewing. Outside of that, the best you get online is the quadrant.

That said, quadrant is fine since you'll need to visit the county recorder anyways and see who has kept up on their paperwork. Just because they've satisfied the BLM end doesn't mean they've done anything at the county.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Sure would like to know what claims aren't showing on Land Matters Johnny. We keep an exact copy of the BLM database that creates the LR2000 and update that twice a month. If a claim isn't showing up we need to research those databases and see where the problems are.

There are a very few claims nationally that the BLM has never assigned Township/Section for - those can't be displayed for obvious reasons. Last year we had a problem with three claims in Northern California being displayed wrong but fixed that within a few minutes of being informed.

Please post here, send me a PM or contact Land Matters so we can fix whatever is wrong. We do depend on Land Matters users to let us know if they find an error. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking he may be referring to the blm database not being up to date which in turn affects mylandmatters. I know personally I've been checking mylandmatters for over a year now and my claim does not show up still even after contacting blm and them thanking me for pointing it out and saying they were going to correct it asap. That was months ago and it still isnt shown yet.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
May never get updated.

Im thinking he may be referring to the blm database not being up to date which in turn affects mylandmatters. I know personally I've been checking mylandmatters for over a year now and my claim does not show up still even after contacting blm and them thanking me for pointing it out and saying they were going to correct it asap. That was months ago and it still isnt shown yet.
It may never get updated. Reason being that where an application is for a placer mining claim covering surveyed lands 'Conforming to legal subdivisions', no further survey is required (May 10, 1872 Act).

A separate issue is the following:
Location fee
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, for every unpatented mining claim, mill or tunnel site located after August 10, 1993, to the extent provided in advance in Appropriations Acts, pursuant to the Mining Laws of the United States, the locator shall, at the time the location notice is recorded with the Bureau of Land Management, pay to the Secretary of the Interior a location fee, in addition to the claim maintenance fee required by section 28f of this title, of $25.00 per claim.

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not all Mines will show up in the LR2000 only mining claims,
mines on private land, state or federal lease or mineral estates require different searches.
I still cant find a mining claim for Joe Martori.

Asmbandits do a LR2000 search by action code for say a location date 403 or recordation notice recd. 393
for a date range that your claim should have been updated on. saw one last year that is used by the new49'ers it was in the wrong place.
I've seen claims with typos where the township was wrong like a 14N that should have been 12N

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mines on private land, state or federal lease or mineral estates require different searches.

Asmbandits do a LR2000 search by action code for say a location date 403 or recordation notice recd. 393
for a date range that your claim should have been updated on.
Yes.
BLM may or may not update.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Winners as usual has it right. :thumbsup:

The LR2000 doesn't have any mine records. It only has federal mining claim case files. Patented mining claims are private property and have nothing to do with the BLM or their case files. Federal mineral leases exclude valuable minerals so you won't find any gold mines in those case files. State claims or leases are not in the BLM files either.

Joe Martori has never owned a mining claim. You can't find it because it never happened. :laughing7:
I think his for profit MMAC corporation pretending to represent claim owners should have someone on the board who has at least actually successfully located a mining claim in their lifetime. Hard to believe non claim owners should have anything to say about how mineral grantees should govern themselves. The law itself doesn't allow non claim owners to form or govern mining districts.

If anyone knows of an actual Active mining claim that appears on the LR2000 but is not on the Land Matters Mining Claim Maps please share that information publicly or privately.

Asmbandits if you share with me your claim name and location (privately) I will search the BLM databases for you. I have the same information on my computer that the BLM has and a lot of that is not on the LR2000.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The separate fact is the:
Location fee
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, for every unpatented mining claim, mill or tunnel site located after August 10, 1993, to the extent provided in advance in Appropriations Acts, pursuant to the Mining Laws of the United States, the locator shall, at the time the location notice is recorded with the Bureau of Land Management, pay to the Secretary of the Interior a location fee, in addition to the claim maintenance fee required by section 28f of this title, of $25.00 per claim.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Clay! In the past I’ve run reports with no issue via lr2000 but it seems the blm has updated their website and interface and for some reason I’m not able to get any of the searches to work... I’m going to have to play with it some more there must be something I’m missing..

OP
OP
arthos

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great information everyone thanks for the input.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great information everyone thanks for the input.
It is going to take people looking up information first hand to get the "Mining history" back to life IMO.
Thank you everyone for your inputs.

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay Diggins was able to help and turns out the reason I cant find it when running lr2000 with land description is that they have the incorrect range in their system. I was able to run a report by name and found it. Ive verified my paperwork and land description is correct and written correctly on the recorded location notice. I'll have to give them a call again and see if now armed with this info we can get this fixed once and for all. At least I'm in the clear and filled correctly, the issue lies on their end.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Clay! In the past I’ve run reports with no issue via lr2000 but it seems the blm has updated their website and interface and for some reason I’m not able to get any of the searches to work... I’m going to have to play with it some more there must be something I’m missing..

I don't think you are missing anything. The new BLM LR2000 web interface is more broken than the old BLM LR2000 web interface. I know what their problem is (their code structure is bad and bloated) but it's not going to get fixed anytime soon. Hundreds of millions of dollars and hundreds of fingers in the pie do not result in a good efficient system.

Not surprisingly one of the biggest users of Land Matters are the various government agencies. Even the Secretary of the Interior looks there for claim information. Several BLM and Forest Service employees are Land Matters contributors. Our annual claims mapping budget is $7,500. The BLM is spending millions a year and still haven't come up with a working mapping system in the last six years. Bigger is not better when it comes to government.

Interestingly the actual LR2000 database behind the BLM website is well built, fast and efficient even though it's nearly 20 years old. I imagine they will "improve" that good working system someday too. :BangHead:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread