I have a quick question. I live on the Treasure Coast and I'm new to md'ing. I was out on a local beach today during low tide and got a screaming hit. Based on the tone, it should've been pretty close to the surface....unless it was BIG. I panned out and roughly measured the tone from one end to another and came up with about 16ft long and 2 ft wide. I'm assuming i can't be the first person to find this. I dug about a foot and nothing..... I thought maybe it was just a major false so I moved on. On my way back I went to the area again and it was hitting the same as before. I'm assuming it can't be a storm drain since it ends way before the dune line. Any ideas on what it could be or if I should go back with a shovel and see if I can get to it? Something is def there! I hit the sand with my scoop and could feel the area around me move as if there was a hole under my feet. Just not sure if its worth the effort
Verodigdug;
Don’t dig ; you have already defeated yourself before even trying.
While you may not be the first person to detect this (big deal) , if valuable – you would be the first person to retrieve it (a very big deal). It will definitely take more effort than sitting in a reclining chair and changing channels or posting on a forum hoping that someone will do all the thinking for you.
Before even starting, you need to research if there is an active lease to the state that prevents you from going into the water or anything that could result in your equipment being taken away .
Next, I would search the newspapers to determine if any bombs or WWII ordinance was found on this beach. Or if any structures were constructed on/near the beach.
If not then you need to determine the best and safest way to determine what it might be. If you are hunting with a single frequency VLF detector, you simply could of discovered an underground stream or an area of the beach with high mineralization/salt which you are detecting.
It also could be that someone has heavily mined this area with closely spaced zinc pennies which would look continuous to your detector.
You might of even found a highly concentrated coin/ target line which will take days to work.
I would carefully try to determine if the object is solid and how deep it is. Initially with coil control and lifting the coil using a multifrequency VLF detector suitable for shallow water.
Next I would probably very carefully probe with a pointed wooden dowel, probably starting at the middle working toward the ends to determine if the object is solid and how deep it is, the assumpting being that it is not a round sea mine with multiple contact fuses like a porcupine.
As long a you don’t kill your self by doing something foolish, this would be a very exciting adventure even if you didn’t find anything of value. Something that you will remember for the rest of your life.
On the other hand, if you do nothing and someone finds valuable treasure, your memories will be those of regret.