To "roll" or not to "roll"!? Rejected CoinStar coins.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All. I have many buckets full of rejected CoinStar coins. What do I do with 'em!? Are they still spendable? Local banks don't want. And if I roll "dug" coins in paper rolls, I feel I'm deceiving the bank teller?
Clad nickels, dimes, quarters, halves and dollar U.S. coins, all look the same after years in ground and lamination is gone. New "shield" cents, deteriorate faster in harsh ground.
Does condition of U.S. coinage, determine its value?
Thanks to leslie (nova scotia), for inspiring this thread.
Merry Christmas!
Peace

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We must have different coin stars here, because the only regular rejects are crusted pennies, or bent coins. Those I spend. If you are getting that many rejects, then maybe try a different machine or start tumbling your clad.

David in Germany

Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer the question, the condition does not determin the value. If it is a modern quarter it is worth $.25. Spend it or roll it and deposit it into a bank, their is no deceit, $10.00 roll of quarters is $10.00 no matter if it is pulled from the ground or pulled from under the seats of your car.
:)
Also, you mentioned " local banks don't want" did they turn you away? I am not sure they can "not take it" legally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks SusanMN. 3yrs ago, I bought a "tumbler" for cleaning clad. Yes, they are much cleaner, still 3 different CoinStar machines continually reject? I really do have buckets full. Peace

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks David in Germany! I have not actually been denied deposition of said coinage, yet the actual "tellers" make it clearly known, they do not want to account for, (actually count), my dug coins.
Peace

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just rolled my "ugly" dug clad. I tumbled it first, there isn't any crust to keep it from going through coin slots. I have no issues with giving these rolls to my bank. I say if there aren't any crusty coins, then roll em and deposit the money.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the banks CAN and WILL refuse to accept mutilated money. There is no law which says they must. I can tell you exactly what they say, they tell you that you have to send them in yourself to the treasury to be redeemed.

If they are mutilated and being rejected by the counters, do not roll them and try to cash them at the bank. All you will do is piss off the tellers, and bank.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin star rejects some of mine every time. I throw them back in and it "eats" them properly the second time.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drop 3 or 4 (at least) in each roll & haven't gotten the stink eye from the tellers so far. Wait until you have a few rolls. One teller told me they hate it when you walk in with a huge amount of rolls, big pain for them.

Coin Star kicking out bucketfuls????? The ones around me hardly kick back anything that isn't really crusted up. I have noticed they kick back wheats I've missed.

As stated above run them through twice, then what ever doesn't go through on the second try take home & tumble.

My other fun trick is if I get lousy service in a restaurant, I run out to the car & grab 3 rolls of the really cruddy ones & leave em as a tip!

YA GOTTA HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tumble them and spend them or roll them. Really cruddy zinc pennies get thrown.
luvsdux

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use a 1200 grit wet type sandpaper on dug coins under running water, a few seconds of rubbing will reveal most details. works good on crusty pennies also. my banks tell me they can only refuse coins that are NOT IDENTIFIABLE!!!! I use MAGNER and SCANCOIN machines that will reject gouged and scraped up road kill coins, those I spend.
Hi All. I have many buckets full of rejected CoinStar coins. What do I do with 'em!? Are they still spendable? Local banks don't want. And if I roll "dug" coins in paper rolls, I feel I'm deceiving the bank teller?
Clad nickels, dimes, quarters, halves and dollar U.S. coins, all look the same after years in ground and lamination is gone. New "shield" cents, deteriorate faster in harsh ground.
Does condition of U.S. coinage, determine its value?
Thanks to leslie (nova scotia), for inspiring this thread.
Merry Christmas!
Peace

David in Germany

Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing about living overseas, the military exchange doesn't give pennies back as they round every purchase. This does not mean that they don't except pennies. I had a clerk tell me otherwise once.
I doubt she will make that mistake again.

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw on here some where some one used sno bowl on their really cruddy clad, in a glass or plastic bowl a 10-15 seconds in it then rinse. Haven't tried it myself yet.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks All. Every single coin I have that's been rejected, is clean. I've even dropped many twice, (or more) back into the CoinStar. They are continually refused. I'm beginning to think these coin machines read size/weight as normal, but also lamination? All I do know is, I have many. Also, returning to Treasury for redemption would not be cost effective. Shipping fees will absorb much of face value.
So if I roll 'em and deposit, bank will be pissed? If I send to Treasury, shipping costs are lost and Navy Seals will visit!? Neither is yet an option. Till I figure it out, I'll keep diggin' clad. ;)
Peace

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I brought in the clad I had recovered to the bank their reply was:
"We really can't hand these back out to our customers"then they referred to the treasury and sending it there. I knew the same thing, to much in cost! I solved the problem by going to all the soda and candy/chips, whatever, dropping my clean (but dirty) in the slot and hitting return. Walla!! New coins returned. Lol! Walmart a good place to go and shopping centers, grocery stores. Space them out, don't hit m all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CK, I use toilet bowl cleaner on the zinc coins. They clean up fairly well, and most go through the coin machine now. The rest of them I just let them sit in a bucket.

HHGL, Mike

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a less dangerous way, Order a pound or two of citric acid. Put a few spoonfuls in the tumbler let it rip, rinse, dry & you're done. Does a nice job doesn't turn everything bronze color if you get a couple pennies mixed with the silver. The best thing is if you get it on your hands it's food grade so it won't burn. nice stuff if you have curious dogs. I've been using citric to remove rust & in my electrolysis tank & sometimes the ultrasonic cleaner.

The cheapest place I've found is Spices Inc. in Bloomburgh, Pa. They sell from 1oz up to 5lbs.

As a side note it's what sour gummies are covered with. Makes a fine practical joke if you have an office cookie / donut thief. The expression on their faces are worth two buckets of clad!!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
​All i can say is that if you do not know how to get rid of your money....... Send it to me i know how to handle money...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstars are good if they are cleaned..I have has some that were always "Dirty" as the person working there tells me....But latly Im just saving up all my junked Zinc pennys and rolling them up to drop at the bank. I do tumble my finds, so they are always clean. I have no problem dropping them off at the bank. Its not my fault the country made currency out of cheap metals. Plus the Bank has more sway with the Treasury than I do with 20 dollars of junk pennies

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread