to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Nohope587

Jan 7, 2006
No Fixed abode
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Both my wife and myself use Garrett Ace 250's we have been having a lot of fun and detect pretty much every day I am not working. We have found several gold rings and chains a ton of silver jewelry and have 57oz of silver bullion bought with clad finds along with several hundred dollars still in the detecting account.

I keep getting the urge to buy a GTI 2500.

The Ace 250 seems to be a wonderful machine would I be gaining anything by upgrading? I dig all targets so improved discrimination probably would not be a factor.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
The GTI2500 is a great detector and it's also great for gold prospecting. It's their top of the line treasure hunting detector.

Just an observation from a satisfied Garrett customer.

What ever you decission in, good luck.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the Ace if you plan to move to Denver. Otherwise, upgrade. ;D

BillW313

Mar 13, 2009
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III Garrett's GTP 1350
I just got off the phone will KellyCo, putting in my order for a GTP 1350. I bought a White's Prizm III back in March and I am completely disappointed in it. I decided to go back to Garrett's where I belong. I have heard the 250 is a good machine for the money but I don't think any upgrade can hurt.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 2500 would be a complete waste of money in my opinion.

Are you looking for older coins in parks that have been hunted pretty hard? If so, it's not going to find a whole lot in comparison to other machines in that price range.

You said you dig it all, so I assume that you are probably a jewelry hunter. And if so, the 2500 won't bring along any miracles in that department.

If you go do some reading, most experienced users will tell you that garrett is based on older technology and they aren't doing anything to keep pace with newer detectors.

woodwizard

Mar 28, 2009
if its not broke-don't fix it. as long as you're gonna continue the same style of hunting all the bells and whistles won't improve your finds.also if you do upgrade be sure to compare the weight of detector can make a difference on long hunts.First try improveing your method of hunting-slower swing-headphones-etc.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I'm still on my first detector. 11 years with a Garrett GTAx1000. I'm in the market for a new unit and after the older fellow I ran into yesterday, the GTI2500 is off my list. I've never used any other machine until yesterday. He let me try his Whites XLT. Much better unit than my Garrett. We talked awhile and he has 6 units :o. His wife and himself spend the winters in Florida. He's been in the hobby for 30 years and has tried tons of different units. Basically he says Garrett is a great starter machine (which I agree with). His advice was to move on to a better brand.
I told him I want to get a really good unit that will last me a long time. I told him I've got the Minelab Explorer SE Professional on my list of possibly getting.
So now I'm leaning toward the Minelab. He even said spend the couple hundred more and get the Minelab E-Trac. He said that was the best machine he's ever used on land.

So for me it's going to be either the E-Trac or the Whites Spectra V³.

I've never had a single problem with my Garrett except the one battery holder broke and they quickly sent me a pair of new ones for free. I'll pass it along to my 10 year old daughter.
I have to agree with bscofield6 comments a couple of posts back. If you've been doing it for awhile and want to move on to a new better MD, gotta move beyond a Garrett. Although I love my Pro-Pointer and will keep it until it dies hopefully of old age.

OP
OP
Nohope587

Nohope587

Jan 7, 2006
No Fixed abode
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks all
It looks like as I suspected my 250 has a lot going for it and will be hard to beat.

sfinder

Jun 25, 2006
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm V and DD Coil
Trust your heart, believe your feelings. The force will always be with you.

Attachments

• luke_skywalker.jpg
    luke_skywalker.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 98

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Nohope587 said:
Thanks all
It looks like as I suspected my 250 has a lot going for it and will be hard to beat.
The Ace 250 is no GTI2500. But then you don't really have to get out of first gear untill your ready.

I have a Garrett Scorpion and I'm deciding what if I should get out of second gear by getting a GTI2500.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread