What's new

Toasted Liberty Half Cent

deershed

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2013
Messages
3,307
Reaction score
4,103
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made another trip back to the colonial site today and this time found a more average copper for me, toasted that is. We think it's a 1804.
Also found a small round ball and 4 flat buttons, one button being pewter.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 153
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    56.3 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 18
Great finds. I really like finding old buttons almost as much as old coins.
 
Yeah , it's toasted but what a great find anyhow - just to think of who could have held that piece !
 
Put that half cent in some extra virgin olive oil and it will do some good
 
It may be toasted but it's still cool in my book :thumbsup:
 
I love toast. Great way to start a day. Lol. Nice finds and great group of buttons!
 
Everyone one of those was a potentially great target!!
 
nice assortment of finds, the copper is identifiable, cant ask for much more than that!, great hunt
 
Flat buttons and early copper makes for a great day in my book! :thumbsup: You might be able to get a date from that one with some cleaning.... try the hot peroxide bath and see what it reveals.
 
Every time I try cleaning an old copper it turns out worse. This one has that green flaky stuff all over it so I'm thinking I'll loose what ever I do have if I try cleaning it.
 
Very nice! Love the buttons and the copper! I think yours is a bit nicer then the one I just found. If you're worried about the green I would just soak it in acetone for a few minutes to neutralize the verdigris, let dry, then right into some mineral oil. A very light touch up with a toothpick and you'll be in good shape.

Or just leave it. Either way it's an amazing find!
 
Nice finds there at least your is soild mine was made into a button hehe
 
Agree. You'll lose all remaining detail on that one if you try and clean it. Either leave it as is or put a light coat of Verdi-Care on it.

Every time I try cleaning an old copper it turns out worse. This one has that green flaky stuff all over it so I'm thinking I'll loose what ever I do have if I try cleaning it.
 
Made another trip back to the colonial site today and this time found a more average copper for me, toasted that is. We think it's a 1804.
Also found a small round ball and 4 flat buttons, one button being pewter.

MUCH! Better than the"0" LC's or H Cents I have dug & about 6-7 flat buttons in 15 years .
Oh Whoa Is Me.
Ill be OK.

Great Finds deershed.
Davers
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom